Friday, April 10, 2009

Sweater Gift

I'm making a gift for a good friend of mine--a sweater in Mellowspun (Mary Maxim), peach, sportweight yarn called the "Easy Lace Cardigan." I found the pattern in the March 2009 issue of Creative Knitting Magazine. It's like the ones I made a couple of years ago from my own pattern, only with knitted lace trim at the bottom of the sweater and the three-quarters length sleeves. Here's what I have done so far:




It looks straightforward enough, but of course, since I so wanted it to be perfectly done--I flubbed up a couple of things. I forgot to knit the last four border stitches (not seen in photo) on a purl side, and remembered four rows of 235 stitches each later. I didn't want to take the rows out, so, one by one, I let the last four stitches drop and rewove them with a crochet hook. Yuck! I hate doing that, as I'm forever knitting instead of purling, and vice versa. Got that done. Then, since the skeins of yarn are only 1.75 ounces or so a piece, there's the weaving the ends in--and I messed that up, even though I was painstakingly following the knitting as I wove them in. Honest I was. Made the border look terrible. So I unraveled the weaved in ends and did it again. I almost threw the whole thing out and said forget it when the last part happened, but now it's almost unnoticeable, so it will be worth it in the end.

Thankfully, I already have great patience because of raising a son with mental handicaps and autism, so I can stick with that sort of thing. Though it's a bit frustrating to hit the snafus on a gift, and also, when you only knit about one hour a day--for relaxation.

Otherwise, I've been working really hard on a new proposal for Steeple Hill LI Suspense while I wait for the copyedits on Mistletoe and Murder, due out in November. Deadly Reunion (w/a Florence Case) is still available.
Happy knitting!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Wow, the border looks beautiful, Flo! I know what you mean about not wanting to have any mistakes when it's going to be a gift. OTOH, those little flaws make it look truly hand-made.

Thank you SO much for the post. ;-)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

It is very pretty - and I do love the color of it. I love that magazine - it seems that when each issue arrives I find at least four things in it that I want to knit...

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Cathy said...

I absolutely hate weaving in the ends, so I've learned how to do a Russian join. It's a fairly easy splice, and I use it on anything I can't spit splice. It might help.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

pretty pretty! enjoy your holiday!

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home