Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A "COOL" Scarf

By "cool" I'm not referring to trendy or stylish......but rather a scarf that's appropriate and cool to wear here in the south, rather than wool, alpaca or a heavier fiber.

I grew up in New England with my mom knitting me the requisite wool mittens, scarves, hats and sweaters. And they sure did keep me warm! But when I returned to knitting about four years ago, I wondered what on earth I could make for myself and actually wear here in Florida when the temps are hovering around 80 during the winter. So I was very happy to discover the wonderful and lightweight cottons that are now available.

The above scarf (for me) that I have just about finished is done with Sublime Soya Cotton and I love working with this yarn. It's soft to the touch, comes in gorgeous colors and works up beautifully. Plus.........this is a scarf that will not only look sharp with turtleneck jerseys, but rather than provide warmth, it's more of a fashion accessory.

The pattern is a called Diamond Leaf and while it's not difficult, it does require a bit of concentration with all the yarn overs and knit 2 togethers, but I love the lacy look.

I've purchased some more of the cotton yarn in some yummy colors for future scarves. I think they'll be just perfect to wear at my upcoming book signings this autumn when Spinning Forward is released. And since my novel is knitting related.........I figure wearing the scarf is just another little tool for advertising and marketing.

Another few inches and I'll have this one finished.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nice scarf! Other "cool" fibers are bamboo, soysilk, and silk. Linen and hemp. But the cotton is probably the most affordable out of all of them. You might want to go on a hunt for SWTC's Xie bamboo yarn, though--very lightweight, silky, and blocks beautifully. If you want a "fancy" scarf too, anyway. ;)

10:44 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Terri, the scarf is lovely! I'm working on a cotton lace scarf myself but not making nearly as much progress as you. I started it as practice for using the precious quiviuk yarn I acquired in Canada but I can't seem to finish it. And the quiviuk is still neatly rolled in its balls. Sigh.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

very nice! where in NE did you grow up?

10:13 PM  
Blogger Flo Moyer said...

I love the scarf! Is it taking a long time to knit?

Flo

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy.....I had never HEARD of "quiviuk" till I read Barbara's book, Casting Spells. SO I asked my expert knitter/friend and she also had not heard of it, but googled it. WHEW! That stuff is EXpensive! But it sounds wonderful!

Turtle.....I grew up north of Boston....Salem....the Witch City!

Flo.....It really isn't taking a lot of time to knit, just wish I had more TIME to sit and do it. It really DOES work up fairly fast.

11:19 AM  
Blogger beanchild said...

That's a lovely pattern! Beautifully done. :)

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home