Friday, April 24, 2009

Hello

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to stop in and thank Barbara for the great introduction and for inviting me to join in on the fun. I've been reading through the archives, and am impressed with all the great projects (writing and knitting) that have been shared here.

Since Barbara asked, let me tell you a little about myself. I'm a writer, knitter, and mom. I've written and sold a fair amount of short fiction (mostly fantasy and science fiction) to magazines and anthologies. I tend to knit strange things, novelties, and toys.

My novel career is just starting off, with a six book urban fantasy series through Roc (a division of Penguin Books) The first three books in the series, MAGIC TO THE BONE, MAGIC IN THE BLOOD, MAGIC IN THE SHADOWS will hit the store shelves six months apart: November 2008, May 2009 (!) and November 2009.

The books are set in modern day Portland, Oregon where magic is the new technology. Anyone can use magic, so long as they're willing to pay the price. The price for using magic? Pain. Allie Beckstrom pays that price and sometimes a little more--magic takes away bits of her memories. Now she must track down the person who put a magical hit on a little boy, using him to endure the pain of their use of magic. When a handsome and mysterious stranger gets involved in the case, it is more than just Allie's life or memory on the line, it is also her heart. Mystery, romance, fantasy, butt-kicking action, and humor, these books are a ton of fun to write!

Books 4-6 are currently untitled. There are three more books that complete the series at nine books...but we haven't told the publisher about that yet...shhhh...

Having a book come out every six months means I stay busy trying to hit those deadlines. As Barbara said, book 2, MAGIC IN THE BLOOD will be out in eleven days (eek!) but I just finished the copy edits on book 3, and am trying to get book 4 written and turned in soon.

I guess it's a little like having several projects on the needles at once, something of which I am perpetually guilty. Right now I'm knitting squares for the charity Knit A Square, and I'm also knitting Wash's sweater from Firefly: the Big Damn Sweater. Those are current projects. My back project list is....long, LOL!

In the days to come, I hope to post pictures of my progress on the sweater. I'm mostly a self-taught knitter, and the sweater is a combination of techniques. So far, it seems like a pretty straight-forward project. (I know, I'll eat those words, won't I?)

Now, for the fun part. I'd like to give away a copy of both my books: MAGIC TO THE BONE and MAGIC IN THE BLOOD. Just leave a comment here on the blog, and I'll do a random drawing a week from today, on Friday, May 1st. One lucky winner will win both copies. I'll mail internationally, so if you're overseas, don't let that stop you.

Thank you everyone, for having me on! I'm really looking forward to getting to know you, and sharing in the knitty and wordy goodness.

Devon

45 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hi Devon! Your books are on my to-read list. And I always love discovering that authors are knitters (you, Barbara, Lilith Saintcrow, Laura Anne Gilman...). Are you on Ravelry?

8:20 PM  
Blogger Kitten With a Whiplash said...

This blog just keeps getting better and better! Welcome!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Welcome to RTY, Devon! We're delighted to have you here. Your books sound fascinating; I'm looking forward to reading them. A six-book contract! Wow! Clearly Roc thinks you have a strong series. Many congrats!

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome Devon, and look forward to reading your books.

Camry60

9:17 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Sounds like a fun series of books! You ladies continue to astound!

Kim in IA

10:47 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Ooooh! they sound good! Lol, gotta enter, always looking for new reading material!! Welcome!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous cyana said...

Hi Devon, I think it is wonderful to have an author who also knits - or a knitter who also has the imagination for writing fanciful things. I look forward to reading your series.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blog. I always enjoy reading about the ins and outs of authors. Your books sound like fun - look forward to reading them.

BettyB

6:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I so want to learn how to knit...somewhere in between writing, reading MAGIC TO THE BONE, painting, scrapbooking, and all the rest of that crap we call living. :) (I never would have guessed a bad-ass urban fantasy writer like you was also a knitter Devon! Cool). :D

7:24 AM  
Blogger LizzieK8 said...

Oh yummy! The first book isn't in my library so who knows when I'd get a chance to read it!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Sorka said...

Welcome from a fellow Big Damm Knitter! I tell ya what when I laid down the challenge for the Wash sweater I couldn't have imagined any better results! I was actually crying when Yarmando introduced the finished pattern!

I hope you will post a pic of yours.. I have yet to start mine!
Glad to have you here!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Cathy said...

You're knitting the Big Damn Sweater? Cool! At some point, I'm going to have to try that. Welcome to the blog!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Edna said...

These books sound like some I really need to read. Would love to have a copy of them!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Knit Twit said...

Welcome!

9:57 AM  
Anonymous sjanova said...

Sounds like my kind of read! Welcome to RTY -- I think you fit right in with everyone.

sjanova (on Knitter's Review, Ravelry, etc.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Marissa said...

Your stories sound intriguing...can't wait to read them!
Looking forward to your sweater pics, too!!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Welcome to RTY, Devon. Your books and knitting both sound intriguing. I haven't posted since last fall - crazy things at my house, mostly medical (me and husband, both doing well now). And then, of course, there's writing (6 chapters down, 6-7 to go). But enough about me. I can't enter the contest but know some lucky winner will love your books.

P.S. I'll have a contest of my own soon.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

I am so looking forward to reading your books Devon! This is such a generous giveaway so thanks for the opportunity.

mishtakes AT gmail DOT com

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Elaine said...

I can't wait to read your books. I've read such great reviews of them.
Thanks for the opportunity to win them.
elaine0625@hotmail.com

1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I want to read these!

bjhopper(at)me(dot)com

1:37 PM  
Blogger Zita said...

Great contest :-). I'm going to forward this blog to my sister. She's a knittin' maniac. When she was pregnant and knitting a baby outfit, she said she was going to swallow it (the outfit) so that her January baby wouldn't come out and be cold LOL

Zita

2:07 PM  
Blogger Yvonne in Southwest Virginia said...

Welcome, Devon. Your books sound just like my kind of reading.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Jnell said...

Hi Devon,
I'm a big fan of yours I loved magic to the bone nd am really looking forward to magic in the blood.

3:01 PM  
Blogger monica said...

Looking forward to reading your books. Thanks for the link to the sweater.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Sara M said...

I just finished Magic to the Bone and loved it. Can't wait for the next installment to come out.

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, please pick me! *she jumps up and down and waves her arms* I'm looking forward to reading your second book!

thanks

Tina

Tina.Christopher7@googlemail.com

4:02 PM  
Blogger alanajoli said...

Hurrah for the Big Damn Sweater! I assume you already have your own Jayne hat? ;)

4:14 PM  
Blogger alanajoli said...

(Hmm, probably should have left an e-mail address: alanajoli at virgilandbeatrice dot com. *g*)

4:15 PM  
Blogger KorynMarie- said...

Awesome interview. Loved the first book!

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Phyllis said...

Wow! My favorite things, magic, reading and knitting. Would love to read your books.

Phyllis
pcrihfield@windstream.net

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome! I look forward to reding your books even if I don't win!

Cheryl C

6:26 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Welcome. I enjoy reading what all the authors are doing.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hi Devon -

Oh, that sweater looks so complicated - but, it probably will be easy. Enjoy knitting it!

Your books sound really interesting!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Gunn said...

Love the first book :)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Devon!

Your books sounds great!! But how to you find the time! You are incredibly busy!

Dottie :)

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome, Devon! I'm also an Oregonian, also knit, and also read fantasy and sf -- so "Magic in the ..." looks like my kinda series! (What's your fave PDX yarn shop?

--Lynda in Oregon

1:40 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hi Devon! your books sound awesome and I can't wait to read them!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

And hey! the covers are AWESOME. Who created them?

9:22 PM  
Blogger georg said...

I'm going to keep a look out for these books - I had not seen them and they sound interesting.

5:28 AM  
Blogger RC said...

they sound like my kind of books!

oooh and I just joined the Ravelry group and added the big damn sweater to the que.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome, Devon!

Are these dark urban fantasy-type magic, or more lighthearted? From your description and the cover art, I think it could go either way.

LynneW

3:46 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I can't believe I haven't already found your books. I look forward to reading them!

4:34 PM  
Blogger tjstree said...

Hello, Devon! I am reading Magic to the Bone that I checked out from my college library. You are a great writer. I am enjoying the book very much and can't wait for the next ones. I would love copies of my own. Thank you for the entertainment.

12:37 AM  
Blogger adrienne said...

how fun! thank you for having a drawing. i hope i win!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Sue O said...

So glad to see a new face here! Your books sound wonderful and I am thinking would be wonderful as my summer reads.
Love that sweater pattern! Hope to someday try it myself so look forward to seeing yours.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home