Thursday, April 23, 2009

Socks On a Plane



I took a weekend trip to Chicago recently. I'm an uneasy flyer, but I've found that knitting, usually while listening to an audio book, helps me stay much calmer while in the air. My favorite portable knitting is socks, so I packed up my current WIP pair for this trip.

Unfortunately, two nights before my flight, my trusty bamboo sock needles split -- a hazard of knitting with size one toothpicks. My LYS was out of that size, so I pulled out my metal needles and said a prayer they would pass through security. I know people SAY it's safe to travel with knitting needles, but the FAA site says circular or plastic or wooden needles.

But I didn't have any trouble. One thing I've found is that knitting on a plane is a great conversation starter. My seat mates always want to know what I'm working on. Two different flight attendants stopped to exclaim over my project. People who knit want to discuss techniques and yarns and patterns. People who don't knit are fascinated by the process.

I'm traveling a lot this year, so I expect to get a lot of knitting done!

Meanwhile, though I haven't been posting much, I have been knitting a lot. In addition to the above socks, right now I have on the needles the Swiffer cover from the second Mason-Dixon Knitting book Outside the Lines

I just finished two pairs of lace mitts to go with my belly dancing costumes -- one in shiny turquoise New Smoking and one in sparkly black New Smoking. (These mitts are essentially the leg portion of a sock, in this case I knit in Gull Wing lace from the Socks, Socks, Socks! book.)

And after reading Mary Anne's post with its mention of the February Lady sweater, I looked up the pattern and fell in love, so I've ordered yarn for that project -- along with a new set of Harmony wooden double points in size one.

6 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I always wanted to learn to knit, but haven't yet. Hopefully I can teach myself, since I don't live anywhere near my family anymore. My brother-in-law mother was going to teach me. I use to crochet, but haven't for a while now.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Oh, Cindi, post pix of the sparkly mitts! I'd love to see them.

I hear you about being an uneasy flier although terror-stricken would be a better description of myself in a plane.

I didn't know that the FAA had actual rules about what sort of knitting needles you could take on a plane. I always just cross my fingers and send my carry-on through the X-ray machine with my needles enclosed. So far, so good. It's useful to know that circulars are allowed because mine have metal tips which I thought might cause trouble.

4:07 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Love these socks Cindi!

Kim in IA

4:13 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Becky, if you have a local yarn tore (LYS) ask about classes. That's the best way to learn to knit, and you'll meet other women who are interested in knitting.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Nancy,
I will post a pic when I'm suitably dressed. My dance group has a show May 9 and I made the black pair to wear with a new costume.

Thank you, Kim. I wish I could tell you the name of the yarn, but it was something I picked up in a clearance bin at Jo-Ann's and I've lost the wrapper. The purple in the cuffs, heels and toes is leftover Knitpicks sock yarn.

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Cathy said...

OK--I understand the power of socks and audiobooks. Yesterday, I got to spend pretty much all day at the hospital with the hubby (outpatient kidney stone removal) so I knit--I finished two socks (I was pretty much down to the toe on both of them, different pairs), worked on a shawl, and spun on a drop spindle, all while listening to a SF/F audiobook.

As for learning how to knit--Becky, I learned out of a book--Stitch n Bitch by Debbie Stoller. I've only knit one pattern out of the book, but I kept using the book as reference every time I ran across something new--different decreases, kitchner stitch, different increases, etc. It gave me a very good grasp of the basics, and even teaches you common newbie mistakes and how to fix them.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home