Sunday, January 03, 2010

Some 2009 FOs - part 2



I couldn't get a decent shot of the Cable Footies from Leigh Radford's book One Skein so ended up clipping them to a winterkilled bush next to the house after the requisite tree shot bombed. They're indecently soft and squooshy - Filatura Lanarota Luxury Cashmere again. (I bought up an armful of the stuff during a Smiley's sale about two years ago. Very smart move on my part!) They'd be more shapely if I'd used a less supple yarn but what I sacrificed in form I more than made up for in comfort. (They went to our niece Laura. The Kumaras went to our niece Tricia.)




A very simple pair of super-soft socks that went to D for her birthday. Regia Softy is a delight to work with. It feels fabulous on the feet. But it sheds. Oh man, does it shed. After washing, you have to reach deep into the toe and pull out a golfball-sized wad of Softy fuzz.




The red Softys I made for myself. Both socks were made using a slightly modified version of The Wendy's top-down pattern from Knit Simple magazine. Highly recommended technique.


And I couldn't let the year pass without at least one Red Scarf Project scarf, could I? I used some unnamed burgundy cashmere from a long-ago eBay purchase. The parttern was Men's Cashmere Scarf from Joelle Holverson's Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. My advice: 1) check for errata. My first go-round with this pattern ended in tears of frustration. I thought I was the world's dumbest knitter. Turned out World's Dumbest Knitter wasn't as dumb as she thought. There was an error in the pattern. And 2) It curls. It shouldn't but it did. Big time.

I also discovered that endless seed stitch variations bore the crap out of me. That scarf felt like solitary confinement. I missed the fiddly fun of knitting lace, the crisscrossy goodness of cables! Who knew!?!?


And there's still more . . .

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Barbara, how wonderful to "see" you again! Gosh, you've been productive! I'm exhausted just reading about all your projects. (I recognize that gorgeous Tudora collar. Heh, heh!)

Happy 2010!

5:12 PM  
Blogger JeanBrashear said...

Barbara, we've missed you!!!

I'm SO ashamed...I've been busy and done a lot of knitting, but the socks...erm...still on the needles and unfinished. But I had Christmas gifts to do, right? Not that I'm in avoidance mode...

And for someone who really hates reworking, I've shown superhuman patience, IMO...ripped out 4 inches or more--THREE times no less!!--on the shawl I'm making.

In my defense, twice was because I found mistakes way back that I couldn't live with, and the third time was because the pattern had no pictures and I was having trouble orienting myself--and the shop where I'd seen the shawl is 1800 miles away, so I couldn't just go look. Probably the rest of you would have found it easy to figure, but...not me.

I'm with you, BB--SOOOO glad 2009 is over! Here's to 2010!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Ah fiddly lace and crisscrossy cables... Addictive, aren't they?

1:04 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Holy cow Barbara, you've been absolutely prolific! What wonderful projects. I'm so thrilled to get a peek! (I may have to try the Tudora, even though I'm sure it's a Siren.....)

Kim in IA

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home