Saturday, December 12, 2009

My trip up North




I just returned from a trip to see my daughter and grandgirlies, and it included a visit to a lovely LYS called Yarn Boutique in Rochester, NY. Amelia, the proprietress, could not have been more helpful, and the selection of yarns in a place where you actually need warm clothing for real winter (unlike where I live) was breathtaking.

I selected a Cascade Heather to make my daughter a shawl from a cool free pattern they were offering called the Weekender Shawl. I'm including a photo of its beginning, though I'm much further along now.

A couple of very cool acquisitions besides the yarn:

1) a shawl pin handcrafted by Amelia's wonderful husband Brett (who was working in the store and is every so charming.) He has Pheasant Hill Wood Works, and I urge you to check out the beauties he creates. I'm including a photo of the one I bought but there were all sorts of intriguing shapes made out of gorgeous hardwoods.

2) these amazing square needles! When I saw them, I couldn't resist! Amelia told me that among their attributes is that you have better control of the yarn (you sure do!) and that you avoid a lot of the twisting that can accompany circular needles. Photo also attached.

Lawsamercy, if I lived in cold country, I would knit myself into a coma! Fabulous, gorgeous yarns (a whole wall of Noro) plus alpacas, baby alpacas, etc., etc....a selection of yarns to die for, one such as this Southern girl has never laid eyes on before!

Jean

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

That shawl pin is awesome!!! Very nice work.

Have never tried the square needles...might have to.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I keep being tempted by square needles, but have yet to try them. Let us know how long-term use with them turns out!

The shawl pin goes beautifully with the shawl itself. Very nice choices on both.

2:11 PM  
Blogger JeanBrashear said...

Thanks, Nicole and Sara! I'm nearly halfway through the shawl, and I'm still loving the square needles and the weave they produce. You might be glad you tried them!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

glad you had a nice trip! nice finds too! i picked up a pair of the squares but have yet to knit with them...soon!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home