Friday, August 08, 2008

Morning Surf: The Jury's Out


morning surf 1 vertical, originally uploaded by wickedsplitty5.

I can't say I'm thrilled with this. I cast on Saturday evening, frogged it, cast on again, frogged again, cast on one last time and finally realized it's probably going to look all amoeba-ish and floppy and unpleasant until I'm finished and it's been blocked and the gods of magickal knitting redemptions have their way with it.

It looks better laid out flat when I can impose some of my will on those stitches but not a whole lot better. The colors, though, are Noro-gorgeous. Fortunately the edges are nice and straight (although you wouldn't know that from this photo.)

A horrible thought just occurred to me: maybe I should have used a smaller needle. I wonder if that would firm up the infrastructure. Right now it's like a plate of runny eggs.

Noro Silk Garden #8. Knit Picks Options US7. Middle-aged knitter.

A recipe for disaster.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the colors are really pretty, but what is it? looks like a large wind sock hanging in the tree. Would love to know what your neighbors think of your knitting hanging in the tree this week?

camry60

7:14 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Gorgeous colors, Barbara. But I echo anon's question. What is it?

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a scarf--I've seen it here and there. And yes, the lace on this looks horrible until it's blocked. But the colors are lovely.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that lace needs to be blocked and looks like spagetti pre blocking. Get yourself some t-pins, dental floss or blocking wires, a safe hunk of carpet or a bed. Give the scarf a good soak in wool wask or shampoo. Wring it out in a towel. Use another towel or sheet to block the scarf on and streach the heck out of it. Come back the next am and be very pleased!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Well, I love the colors and I hold out hope that it will look good when blocked. Lace blocking is magic!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

It's supposed to be a scarf. I'm not sure it will live long enough to make the grade because I'm about a half-step away from frogging it and using the Silk Garden for something less . . . mushy. I asked Goldisox what he thought. His measured response: "It has a lot of holes."

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home