Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lace Knitting in Paradise



That's my Arctic Lace scarf draped over a sculptural piece of driftwood on the North Shore of Oahu. Beside it is the gorgeous lei I was presented with at our hotel's luau.

I am happy to report that my No. 3 bamboo needles passed the airport security inspection and accompanied me on my looooooooong flight to Hawaii. Lace knitting is a perfect way to pass the time on a ten-hour flight; it requires just enough concentration to keep your mind off the fact that you're 36,000 feet up with nothing between you and the ground except very thin air (can you tell I'm a white-knuckle flyer?) but doesn't tax the mind overmuch the way revising a book proposal does (can you also tell that I took the book proposal on the flight and didn't touch it?)

I wasn't sure if the needles would get through so I had my lifeline threaded through the last row, ends securely tied together, just in case I had to sacrifice the needles to the war on terrorism. But the screener didn't even flinch.

One evening I was so exhausted by the delights of Hawaii that I even sat and knitted on our lanai overlooking the blue, blue sea. Mostly though I was out on the beach or kayaking to a volcanic island or eating sushi so fresh it practically swam off the plate. Can you tell I really liked Hawaii? There will be more on that later, after I sort through all the photos I took (over 700, but, don't worry, you won't have to look at all of them).

Because I love you guys on RTY, I thought of you even whilst immersed in paradise. I couldn't find a knitting shop but I did find these beautiful earrings which are based on a Hawaiian quilt design and brought them back as a prize for some lucky knitter.




If you'd like to enter the drawing to win them, send me an email at nancy@nancyherkness.com. I'll draw a winner on Monday, August 11th. (I don't want anyone to miss the drawing due to a vacation!)

Aloha!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

Yes, yes.....more photos please! Some of us are only able to travel vicariously through the travels of others!

BTW....your lace project looks amazing!

Kim

6:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

That looks lovely! And I agree with you completely on the wonders of lace knitting on planes. (Though my recent plane knitting was a semi-lacy sock, not a scarf. I got to keep my wooden DPNs, too.)

6:21 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Nicole, for me the only thing worse than being on a plane would be knitting socks on a plane. LOL!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

Sounds like a great trip. And I truly say, better you than me! I'm a white-knuckle-making-holes-in-armrest-panic-attack-pass-out kinda flyer. So I don't fly. ;-)

Liz

12:38 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Liz, I feel your pain. I'm okay as long as the plane doesn't bounce but the minute we hit turbulence I go into full panic-attack mode just as you describe. Not fun. I find the larger planes work best for me because a) I feel less clausrophobic, b) it takes more turbulence to make them bounce, and c) they get up high enough to avoid alot of the rough air. Doesn't always work though.

Unfortunately, my whole family LOVES to travel so planes are a necessary evil in my life. And when I get to an amazing place like Hawaii I'm thrilled that I forced myself to suffer through the plane flight. The weeks before aren't such fun; I have a lot of trouble sleeping.

That's probably way more than you wanted to know about my neurosis.

Kim, thanks so much for your lovely compliment on my lace project. It's going very slowly but the results are very satisfying.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Oh, Nancy! The photo of the lei and the lace is to die for. A pattern from the 49th state posing for a photo on a 50th state beach! How cool is that?

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home