Sunday, August 03, 2008

Have You Seen TWIST COLLECTIVE?

Looks like Knitty may have some competition. Twist Collective launched on Friday, filled with knitting info, gorgeous photographs, interesting patterns, A-List knitting designers, and a cutting edge layout. The patterns are PDF downloadable for $7 each. I have no problem paying $7 for a pattern and have done so many, many times at various designers' websites. But I have to tell you paying $7 a pop five or six times for patterns in an on-line magazine causes me to stop and ask the question a consumer is never supposed to ask: "Do I really need that?"

I'm not sure what the psychology involved with that reaction says about me but it's true. I spent a lot of time admiring the entire package but I didn't buy a single thing. Not yet, anyway.

Do designers deserve an equitable part of the pie? Of course they do. No question. I'm just not sure how many knitters will be willing to part with $28 or $35 or maybe even $42 an issue to claim patterns. I'd say a discount for multiple purchases might be worth thinking about.

Check it out. It's definitely worth a look.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked this weekend and had the same feeling. How much am I willing to pay for a maybe project. I do enjoy knitting magazines as a rule.

Camry60

10:37 PM  
Blogger Lola said...

I'd have to agree with you about that. I've taken to thinking about whether the pattern is unique enough that I will buy the pattern. I have quite a backlog of patterns that I haven't knitted up yet (and most of which I already own) to go through.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The patterns are pretty--but I only saw a couple of things in there I'd be willing to wear. And I didn't notice anything for men or children (I have one of each). The photography was pretty, but nothing really jumped out and grabbed me.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I didn't buy any, either. I was reading somewhere else on the site, FAQs probably, and they addressed the multiple pattern discount idea. Their response was that the patterns would be available long term & they suggested buying one, then when you're ready to do another, buy it. I have such a backlog that I almost never start a pattern right after I get it or the yarn for it, so unless I see something I'm absolutely sure I'll make, I probably won't be buying anything. But I think that's ok, too. I viewed it almost more like a catalog than a magazine.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't buy a pattern "yet"> Yet being the operative word because Twist had so many I loved and want to make. That is very different from the print knitting magazines I receive (I subscribe to Vogue, Interweave,Knitters and Knit Simple). There was nothing in the Spring/Summer issues I wanted to make yet I paid for those issues. Twist may be on to something buy only the patterns you want to make.
Holly in CT

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your psychology, and I'd say these folks are going to price themselves out of the market. They aren't really a "magazine" so much as a "catalog with articles". The cost of one pattern will pay for a regular paper magazine with 25-35 patterns,the cost of 3-6 will pay for a book by your favorite designer, again with far more patterns. For someone like me, notoriously and deveotedly CHEAP, $7 gets anywhere from 3 to 25 thrift shop mags or books.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

I think it might be fair to let anyone look for free. If you "purchase" a copy of the entire magazine for that $7, then you could download any or all patterns for free. 'Cause I agree, no way would I pay $7 each for multiple patterns, not when there are so many quality free patterns out there, or books with tons of patterns available for $15 or $20.

Liz

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home