Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Commission Completed



Here's the finished Short Row Scarf being blocked on my guestroom floor. Of course, the blocking board wasn't long enough for it so I had to add a garbage bag-wrapped piece of foam core. Does anyone own a blocking board big enough for all their projects? Sigh.



Here's the finished commission! I delivered it to my brother-in-law on Tuesday. (Being a full-service knitter, I even put it in a holiday gift bag.) He was amazed that I had finished it before December 24th. Obviously, he knows something about writers and deadlines. When I pulled it out of the bag, he was delighted, and now I'm afraid he won't be able to resist giving it to his wife long before Christmas.

Project specifications:

All About Short Rows Scarf (with some modifications for gauge) from Creative Knitting Magazine, March 2008.

Keja 100% Mongolian Cashmere in Uptown Red (Colorway #15) from Jade Sapphire Exotic Fibres, 2 skeins, approx. 200 yards each. (I used every inch of the yarn to avoid buying another pricey skein.)

The geometric pattern gives a nice textural interest to a solid color yarn, IMO. Blocking improved the scarf; it emphasized the geometry of the triangles by straightening out their lines. Of course, the pure cashmere feels absolutely luscious.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Fran Baker said...

Wow, Nancy, that is one gorgeous scarf. Good job, lady. But be careful you don't become the designated present-maker in your family! You'll never get a moment's writing peace.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's lovely! As for blocking boards that are long enough? Interlocking foam mats, found in flooring departments and kid's sections. If it's not big enough, I just add another block. :)

9:26 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Thanks, guys!

Fran, I'll keep your warning in mind. Although I didn't mind this commission since I got to pick out the yarn and the pattern. The one I hated was my MIL sweater: all black and I had to copy an existing sweater. That wasn't fun.

Cathy, you're brilliant! I imagine I can draw straight lines on them to suit my project as well. I'm heading for Toys R Us!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Yoga mats also work as blocking mats! very nice scarf!

3:41 PM  
Blogger RobynR said...

Cathy beat me to it but I'd like to second the foam mats . . . Sam's Club usually has them for a reasonable price too.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Yoga mats! Of course! Another great idea for a blocking board. They roll up so nicely for storage too.

As always, the briliance of knitters amazes me!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

It turned out so beautiful, Nancy!

Cindi

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home