Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Yarnapalooza Winner #18


Three cheers for New Zealand Kim, our Yarnapalooza Winner #18! (It's winter in New Zealand and I'm deeply envious.)

The photo is actually a postcard ("Real" postcards were popular in the first decade or so of the 20th century--the "real" refers to the fact that the postcard is an actual photograph.) You're looking at my paternal great grandparents, my grandmother El, her brother Cass, and somebody named Ben. There was another daughter but my Great Grandfather Charles "sold" her to a childless relative for the money to escape from Litherland Park (Liverpool) to New Zealand. He had run a successful family butcher shop then apparently run afoul of someone for some reason (I've been told he had [how shall I say this??] a wandering eye . . . ) and needed to get out of Dodge. So to speak.
I believe they lived in that house on Ponsonby Road in Auckland from approximately 1904 until 1918 or thereabouts when they sailed back to England and then from England to the United States. One of the many incredible stories my grandmother told me about New Zealand (a place she loved with her entire heart) was the one about the earthquake that rattled their house on the hill while they were clearing dinner dishes from the table. My grandmother went sailing across the room and suffered a major gash in her forearm.
Not much knitting content, I'm afraid, but when I saw the Kim was from New Zealand my mind started to wander . . .

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

Did the family stay connected to the daughter that was "sold?" What happened? You can't just let us hang!

Congrats to Kim from another Kim, this one's in Iowa.

Kim

5:00 PM  
Blogger kozmic said...

Barbara's email has quite made my day. I'm absolutely delighted - this is like getting an early Christmas present.
Barbara's blog entry sounds very much like the starting point for a fascinating novel.My family came out from Scotland in the late 1840s with some dying on the voyage and 1 new arrival.Life back then was so very, very difficult.
And thank you from a Kiwi Kim !
P.S. Was supposed to be a "Kimbellia" but when my father went to register my birth he couldn't remember how to spell it.So he wrote down the first part and left a space.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home