Thursday, October 12, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 12





















I feel like a proud new mother. You are looking at two views of one sock: Best Foot Forward #1.

To refresh your memory: the pattern is from KNIT SOCKS by Betsy McCarthy. It's called Best Foot Forward (even though I kept calling it everything but.) Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Fisherman on #2US Addi Turbos. Kitchenered toe. I decided to follow the pattern to the letter in order to understand the decisions the designer made and I'm not sure I'm crazy about bringing the toe down to 12 stitches before grafting it. It's a bit geometrical for my sock taste. I definitely prefer the elegant curves of a star or round toe. But this kind of fits the cable-y ribby look.

I cast on for sock #2 about an hour ago and am half-finished with the ribbing. This has to be the fastest sock on the planet. Let's hear it for worsted weight yarn!






Aidan Quinn. That pretty much says it all.









7 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

Gorgeous!!! Barbara you are convincing me to give worsted weight a try!

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's almost too pretty to wear! Beautiful!

I made a cardigan out of wool-ease and it's held up pretty well. People say it pills, but mine has sort of grown a halo instead. Hopefully your socks will wear equally well.

On the experimental toe-up sock front, I had to rip out the gusset and re-knit it, but it finally looks right. Actually, it probably looks a little neater than my typical cuff-down gussets. I hope to have time today to tackle the backwards heel turn. We'll see how that goes!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

The details on that sock are absolutely beautiful, Barbara! I am awed, esp. when you say that it goes quickly.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aidan Quinn is my favorite! wow!
Great socks too and I just dyed some worsted for socks...

3:43 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

The sock looks great! For some reason, I didn't get a whole week of this blog, it kept showing the scary Russel Crowe picture even when I hit re-fresh (why did it have to be that picture!). I am glad to see the sock hop still going strong! I have had a sore arm (I slept on it "wrong") but I am finally feeling better today, so I hope to do some serious sock knitting tonight (at least my toes are certainly hoping I can).

5:26 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Oh, Barbara, those are some beautiful socks. My toes are thinking they'd feel nice and cozy inside them. So ... you'll send them Priority Mail, right. LOL!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I am so excited about these socks that I'm downright insufferable about them!!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home