Wednesday, October 11, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 11



That's my current sock in progress: Best Foot Forward from KNIT SOCKS by Betsy McCarthy.

I totally screwed up the name the other day and will dip back into previous posts to rectify it. I keep thinking of it as "Sensational" which, to me, it is because it's an absolutely sensational knit. Easy. Fast. Pleasing to the eye and the hand.

The scan doesn't do the gusset justice. Because the leg and heel flap are so textural the plain stockinette of the gusset recedes into the shadows until you can barely see it. But it's there. I promise you.

This is Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Fisherman. It started off a little splitty and thin but darned if it doesn't knit up into something immensely pleasing. These are for me and I wanted something I can wear, toss into the washer and dryer, and wear again with no fuss and no babying. So far Wool-Ease is exactly what this knitter ordered.




Tyson Beckford, however, looks like a candidate for cuff-down Regia Bamboo . . .






6 Comments:

Blogger Saren Johnson said...

What a wonderful almost sock!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Oooh, pretty, Barbara. I'd like some of those in navy blue. To go with my jeans, of course.

What size needles are you using?

9:37 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Thanks, guys! I can't say enough about the pattern. It's so incredibly easy and intuitive. I'm using worsted weight yarn with #2US Addi Turbos and it's just right. (I think the pattern recommended #4US.) They're thick and cushy and should be great with clogs which is what I was looking for. Then I hope to try them with a finer yarn.

The cable is a snap to do: knit two stitches together but don't take them off the needle. Knit the first stitch on the left needle (yes, one of the "knit two together" stitches) and slip them all off the needle. You have successfully twisted the stitch and formed a cable!

Of course this is all dependent upon what happens before and after that neat little twist but that's nothing but knits and purls. Soooo easy!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

What gorgeous, gorgeous socks! Love those!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Jamie Denton said...

Barbara - I have to ask, how many freaking socks are you sock hopping woman? Everytime I pop over, I see more socks!!!

Me thinks I need to sign up for Speed Knitting 101.

signed,
the sock virgin slug

2:32 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

I may have to give this pattern a test run if I hope to finish all my Christmas gifts on time! It looks terrific Barbara!

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home