Sunday, October 08, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 8






This one's for you, Nancy!




Kim finished STEP sock #1 and has launched herself into #2. (These are gorgeous, Kim. Love that heel.)





















I love Denise's Fast and Easy in France+ from Pingouin.
denisefande


I finished my Socks That Rock LUCY toe-ups and actually wore them this evening. That has to be the nicest sock yarn I've ever worked with. Not splitty. Supple. Soft and plush. Great stitch definition. And I didn't break into a rash at the touch of wool.



I didn't get the same pooling on sock #2 (unfortunately) but I did end up with an interesting stripe variation that reminded me of the spiral socks. I added more stitches to close up heel gaps on sock #1 and took longer to decrease back to the cast-on number of stitches than I did on sock #2 and it made a huge difference.

So how was your week? Please share your progress, sock and other!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

I love the Lucy socks! Makes me want to get out my own Lucy yarn and cast on yet another pair of socks.

I like the way they patterned, including the non-matching pooling. That's part of what makes hand-dyed yarns so appealing.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Sharon Hurlbut said...

Well, there is good news and bad news. The good news is that after 3 aborted attempts, I've finally figured out the right number of stitches for my husband's socks. It's a simple 2x2 rib down to the heel, then stockinette on the foot. I've just finished the gusset decreases. The bad news is, I don't have enough yarn. I'm using Socks that Rock Blue Brick Wall and when I went back yesterday to the store where I bought it, they didn't have any more. I'm hoping the ladies at Blue Moon will be able to send me another skein, or things are going to get ugly around here. (By the way, the yarn is gorgeous and it knits up so nicely I just want to make an enormous sock I could crawl into and fall asleep.)

In other socky news, I ripped out my attempt at toe-up for myself (also using Socks that Rock, this time in Siren Song). I'll admit I have ultra-wide feet, but this thing would have fit Frankenstein. I'm not sure what I'll try next. The yarn is a beautiful light blue/green/yellow-green and it's calling out to be something special. I'm considering Pomatomus, but I'd really like something a little simpler. Any ideas?

4:05 PM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Sharon - I hope Blue Moon can get you another skein of yarn. I quilted avidly for years and seldom worried about running out of fabric because I could always substitute something else. Not so with knitting where I'm insanely paranoid about running out of yarn. I can't begin to calculate how many 'insurance' skeins of yarn I've bought.

If you can't get another skein of yarn, could you do contrasting toes and heels and maybe stretch out the yarn you do have?

How much simpler than Pomatomus? I'm doing a pair of STR in a simple K2,P2 with alternating plain rounds. It seems to work well with the yarn and you can't get too much easier than that.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Ahhhhhh, the beauteous Pierce! Thank you, Barbara!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

I ripped out my first sock with the bamboo yarn when it was almost done -- after realizing it would never fit. I got gauge on my swatch but it didn't translate to the sock. I've started over with what I believe will be the right amount of stitches. I'm knitting a shell pattern with many yarn-overs and that may soon be ripped out as well, as I can't decide whether I like the looks of it or not. I'll knit a few more inches, then decide.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home