Tuesday, October 10, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 10



<== See those gorgeous socks? Yes, they really are that small, knitted with thread on piano wire. They're one of the prizewinning entries in SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS, a truly first-rate book of sock patterns that I urge you to check out.

Can you imagine knitting a pair of socks (stranded, no less) on piano wire? I'm fascinating in general by anything miniature (a doll's house can keep me enthralled for hours) and this has me awestruck.

What's your favorite sock book? I never thought I'd love anything as much as Lucy Neatby's COOL SOCKS, WARM FEET but SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS is a serious contender for the throne.





Do we have enough sock yarn in captivity for Chris O'Donnell (aka McVet)?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Denton said...

I have new respect for Chris O'Donnell. That boy has some big...feet.

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine stranded knitting with thread on wire. I'm awestruck. If I ever tried to knit something like that, my next project would have to be a nice worsted straightjacket.

I have "Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy" by a writer with three names (none of which I can remember, but the first *might* be Priscilla). It's a nice book with interesting technique explanations. I got my favorite stretchy cuff cast-on from that book.

But other than that, I don't really use sock patterns. Call my favorite method "knit and hope."

11:23 AM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Several phrases come to mind in looking at that itty bitty sock....(waiting for a nice one....or at least a "neutral" one to appear....) . . . . I call that dedicated! (Hey, that's even before demented in the dictionary!)

Yikes! Never in a million years!

I'm still knitting away on sock #2 when I get the chance. Took the day off yesterday as the kids were out of school and drove 4.5 hours to celebrate my mom's birthday with her. It was a good thing! Also stopped to see my grandmother who will be 89 in a couple weeks. She was having a good day and looking/feeling good, so that was a fun treat. (I'll take all those I can get!)

Have a couple deadlines looming with my editor (I do freelance writing/photography for the local paper on special sections or magazines) and company coming this weekend (read: "house to clean") but will try to get sock #2 done by the end of this coming weekend!

6:13 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Knitting on piano wire...well, wow. I can't imagine.

I like Theresa's 'knit and hope' method. I cook that way, too. I do have 'The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook' and 'Socks: A Special Spin-off Publication' and am still working my way through both.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home