Monday, October 09, 2006

THAT OLD BLACK MAGIC ...



I did it! The Magic Loop, that is. I worked all weekend on creating the world's longest Magic Loop tube. Now I'm ready to try the sock pattern in the booklet. Wish me luck! And if you have any suggestions on yarn or technique, feel free to offer them.


Oh, I said I'd post a pic of my slipper socks. I've been wearing them since I finished them and really like them. Warning to all you experienced sock knitters: Don't laugh. This is my first attempt at anything with gussets, heels and toes. I did a three-needle bind-off on the toes of these but will attempt to graft them closed when I do real socks. Which means I'm going to have to practice that separately.



Happy Columbus Day, all!

6 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Fran, I'm so excited for you! Congratulations!! Your slipper socks look fabulous. I'll make you laugh one day and show you the boot socks I made from the Magic Loop booklet when I started -- Sasquatch's fashion statement.

Magic Loop tips? When you start a new needle make sure the yarn is placed correctly so you don't inadvertently add a stitch. (EX: When the first stitch is a knit stitch I begin with the working yarn coming from between the needles and resting from inside to outside of back needle. I grab the working yarn then begin knitting but that's the default position. Anything else gets me into trouble and I end up with an extra weirdo loop on the new needle. (Of course that's easily fixed. Knit the last real stitch and the weirdo loop together and you're fine.)

YMMV so work out a technique that's right for you. Also, one of the best sock knitting tips I've ever received was to tug on the second stitch on a new needle, not the first, to avoid ladders. It really works. (I also give the third stitch a little tug.)

It's so much fun to watch you embark on your Magic Loop knitting. ML totally changed my knitting life.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

I love your slipper socks, Fran. What kind of yarn is that?

2:51 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Thanks for the tip, Barbara. Makes sense to tug on the second and/or third stitch. I coulda/shoulda with the slipper socks.

Cindi, the yarn is Lion Brand Boucle in, I think, Jellybean. I've got some more in different colors but had to try this color first.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Very cool yarn on the slipper socks! I can see why you wear them all the time.

8:48 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Those look like the most cozy and comfy slipper socks ever! (and talk about fab colors!) Kudos!

8:51 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

WTG, Fran! Those slipper socks look so cozy. It's almost reason enough to be excited about winter.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home