Saturday, October 07, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 7


Won't you help Brendan Fraser? Winter's coming and he looks so cold . . .



Well, I got my butt kicked yesterday and it's back to work for me. Two copy-edited manuscripts landed on my front porch which means I have almost 700 pages of edits to review, questions to answer, and discrepancies to untangle and I have one week to do it. I usually don't mind this part of the process at all. (And God bless editors for catching my many inconsistencies. There's nothing more valuable than the safety net provided by a good editor.) It can be a bit disconcerting to see the places where I let the time line slip away from me but overall it's part of the ongoing learning process. There's something both fascinating and a little overwhelming about seeing a five page style sheet drawn up by a stranger, listing all of your characters, their names, vital information, relationships to one another, place names, street names, key events and to realize that all of that detailed information was entirely the product of your imagination.

I know, I know. I wrote the book. I should know it came from my imagination. But, trust me, there's a big difference between seeing the finished book on the shelves and seeing this census-like rundown on the lives of your imaginary friends.

Anyway, this is supposed to be about knitting, right? Not too much to report. I made some more progress on my STEP sock for Goldisox:






And I'm about two inches up the leg on sock #2 in STR LUCY:




Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

3 Comments:

Blogger LauraP said...

I'm in awe of your productivity. I must confess I haven't touched my Sock Hop project for several days. Outdoor maintenance projects demands on my time, of the type that leave my fingers too tied and clumsy by the end of the day to manage skinny needles and yarn.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Laura, two days w/long car trips made a big difference. This week will probably be more about w-w-work (why do I feel like I'm channeling Maynard G. Krebs?) (anyone else even remember Maynard G. Krebs??) than play but I'm hopeful.

All or nothing. That's me . . .

9:43 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Understood about focusing on the knitting, Barbara. But we are knitting writers so ... I presume you'll share the names of those books when they come out? Do just a tad bit of shameless self-promotion between socks and such?

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home