Thursday, October 05, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 5



You're scared. I don't blame you. I'm scared too.

Russell Crowe, what were you thinking!?

I don't think there are big enough socks on the planet to erase this image from my mind.




A few housekeeping items:

1. I'm adding blog links to the list of Sockhoppers as I get them. Please take a moment to check out these wonderful knitters' wonderful sites. You'll find the list in the vertical nav bar on the right.

2. We're posting photos on Flickr. You can access it from the vertical nav bar on the right also. Scroll down the Flickr box and click on "sockhoppers photos" and you're on your way.

3. We have something very exciting planned to take us through the holiday season so stay tuned.

Knittech has made some wonderful progress on her Dragon Scales:



knittech-closeup

knittech-progress



Nicole says this Black Watch sock #1 doesn't count toward the Sock Hop. Only sock #2 does!



nicole-blackwatch



From Brenda: "The start of a self-designed sock! I need grey desperately, and I hope the Gingerbread Cable from VK Stitchionary 2 will work well. I'm only two repeats in. The yarn is Jawoll in a marled grey."


brenda-1



I'm halfway through the foot on sock #2. I made the toe wider this time because I can't stand the sharp angular look of toe #1 (even though sharp and angular is usually appealing to me) which will make for one very weird pair of socks. Fortunately that kind of thing doesn't bother me. (In fact, I kind of like it. I've been known to wear two different color socks deliberately.) Remember samplers? Those wonderful learning tools eighteenth and nineteenth century little girls used to master their numbers and the alphabet and their sewing skills? That's how I view these socks: they're my Sampler Socks. I'm learning all sorts of things, spreading my knitting wings a little, and having fun. (When I'm not cursing at my picked up wraps.) Knit a little, learn a lot. Welcome to the Sock Hop!

10 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I think I'm the "Julie" on your list -- my blog is at http://ozarkknitting.blogspot.com

I'm currently working on about 6 different socks; I think I'll have to designate one of them as my Sock Hop socks!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I've decided to call the Black Watch socks my "half-a-hop socks", since half of the pair counts towards the Sock Hop. They're a present, though, so I'm making myself finish them before I cast on for my own pair.

2:04 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Jean, I think Barbara's photos are downright frightening sometimes. Where does she get these dreadful things?

Thank goodness for everyone's beautiful sock pix to wipe the nasty Russell picture out of my mind.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

ROFL -- Oh, Barbara, where do you find these pictures!

And Brenda I love those socks with the cable up the side! Where can I get a pattern.

I turned the heel on the first sock of my pair last night. Turning heels are my favorite part of socks. I just love how it all comes together.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Cindi, I should be ashamed of myself and I would be except for the fact I'm having too much fun searching around for these horror shots!

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! What a picture.

I finally had a minute to do the math (yes, I used the M word) for my experimental toe-up sock with a flap-and-gusset heel. There's no way of telling if I'm calculating this right. Well, except to knit it and see if it actually works and fits.

I've cast on the first sock and am about an inch into the foot. This ought to be interesting.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Theresa, the math connection is one of the things I like best about knitting. The # of knitbloggers who hold jobs in the sciences is fascinating. (Reminds me of the inordinate # of romance writers married to engineering types.) (I'm one of them.) EZ's PI shawl fascinates me, as do any Fibonacci-based striping patterns.

1:53 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Oh my, that's quite a photo. Barbara, you amaze me.

Those cabled socks are beautiful, Brenda. I, too, would love to know where to find that pattern.

2:14 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Egads! My goodness! British humor.....go figure! (That IS supposed to be a humor shot of Mr. Crowe, is it not?!?)

I'm through the gusset decreases and working my way down the foot of my first sock. Will try to get a pic posted tonight.

Can't wait to hear what the holiday plans are!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

That picture ... let's just say it does NOT have "Gladiator" written all over it.

I'm done with my slipper socks! Now I've got to figure out how to get the pic from the camera-phone to flickr.

Next I'll do some real socks on slightly smaller DPNs than the 8s I used for the slipper socks.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home