Friday, October 13, 2006

PSSST! Wanna get felted?


I know I'm jumping the gun here but we're so excited about our next great knitting adventure that I can't wait any longer.

We're gonna get felted. Yes, felted. Beginning November 1st we're embarking on a holiday knitting thrillride that includes plunging handknit 100% wool items into boiling hot water with nasty detergent and if that's not enough we're going to agitate it to within an inch of its fibery life and then shock its poor depleted system with a plunge into an icy bath.

No, we're not hideous yarn sadists. We're felters(fullers)-in-training.

And you know this wouldn't be Romancing The Yarn if that didn't include a contest or two.

See that button over there on the righthand vertical nav bar, the one that says GET FELTED? Click on that and follow instructions and you're in. Or, if you'd rather, just click here and send us an email with FELT in the subject header and we'll enter you in the contest. If you want to join the felt knitalong respond to the reply. No need to say anything. I'll know what you mean. (If it makes you feel better, you could type "get felted." I won't be offended.)

The grand prize winner will be chosen on November 15th and will receive a box bursting with Cascade 220, Gjestal Naturgarn, and Elann Peruvian Highlander in a rainbow of colors. And then each week between November 15th and December 31st we'll pick one new lucky winner to receive a skein or two of something gorgeous and feltable as our way of saying thanks for making our knitblog experience an absolute delight.

And yes Liam, our resident knitting muse (although Nancy might dispute that), has given us his blessing.

7 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

ooh! I can't wait! I've done a couple purses and it's always cool to see how the felting will turn out! This will be great!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I love the gambling aspect of felting. Who knows how it'll turn out this time? You knit, you toss it in your washing machine, and then you cross your fingers and pray!

BTW, THE Wendy, I was dismayed to read about the loss of your Venerable Great Felting Machine. Can't wait until you felt-test the new one.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I can't wait to felt! Big needles and washing to hide your mistakes! I have my project all picked out already: the felted boxes in Mason-Dixon Knitting. I love boxes of every description and always need more to hold miscellaneous stuff. So this is a project that really appeals to me. Do you think I can do them in entrelac? ;-)

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love felting and have so many projects I'd like to find time to do. What will be first?

4:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Nancy, yes you can felt entrelac. Dallas found a website with some gorgeous feltable entrelac'd bags and I just bought and downloaded a whole pile of 'em. Also check out the book Modular Knitting -- there's a gorgeous felted geometric (semi-entrelac) bag in there that I'm dying to make. Two passions in one project!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Jamie Denton said...

Nancy, my copy of Mason-Dixon Knitting arrived yesterday. (Also got a cool book on socks, too!) But, I saw those boxes and thought they'd make a great first felting project. But I also have three DIL's who could benefit from purses, too.

Oy! The decisions!!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think i'll felt me some "Marley's Ghost" from the Knitty Archives. I also just finished a hat for my Dad that's about six sizes too big; gonna felt that down. Oh, and my Honey's always wanted a tricorne: knitlikeapirate.com.

Laugh with me or at me; as long as you laugh!

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home