Thursday, May 21, 2009

How not to lose your mind



Our northern New Jersey newspaper The Star-Ledger offered 20 ways to "Keep Your Mind Sharp". Since I constantly worry that my mind is becoming ever duller, the headline caught my eye. Professor Paul Nussbaum of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine lists various activities one can engage in to exercise the old gray matter.

Guess what No. 8 was? You got it: knitting! Evidently, using both hands works both sides of your brain which is a good thing. And as the journalist points out, knitting is a great stress reliever.

So if you can't remember where you put your car keys or, even worse, why you were looking for them in the first place, grab your needles and feel your mental muscles flexing.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger JelliDonut said...

The perfect excuse to knit at work!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I like your thinking! Tell your boss it's making you a better employee!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Knitting is my favorite stress reliever, but it's nice to know it also can help my brain -- and I need all the help I can get.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a link to the article? I'd love to "I told you so!" my husband, but he won't belive me if I say I saw it on a knitting blog.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Meshaliu, I'm sorry--I tried to find a link on the internet but there doesn't seem to be one. Tell your husband I swear it was in the May 19, 2009, "Today" section of the Star-Ledger, Newark, NJ. Prof. Nussbaum is a neuropsychologist so he knows what he's talking about.

One of the other ways he lists to keep your mind sharp: take dance lessons. I love that one!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous --Deb said...

I saw that, too! And I made a point of pointing it out to my family--See? I'm not crazy for knitting. I'm keeping my mind healthy.

There are times when I just adore the Star-Ledger

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home