Monday, May 11, 2009

A New Project - Already

Best laid plans always interfere. I got news yesterday that my sister-in-law has a serious heart condition that is going to necessitate (almost certainly) open heart surgery within the next year. Not only that but the surgery will happen states away from home.

My helplessness has already morphed into a sense of purpose. I'm always cold in the hospital and being far away from home would suck on top of it all. We won't even go into the scariness of it all. I decided to knit a oversize stole for her that she can have at the hospital if she wants.

This means it needs to be acrylic to stand up to the washing and such. Easy care is a must. I also wanted a rich color, not a pastel or even-vaguely hospital-ish color. During lunch I surfed patterns at Ravelry and found one called the Crescendo Shawl. If I make it a bit wider than specified, it should really cozy and big enough to snuggle in.



A trip to the local yarn store was undertaken after I got off the evil day job and I found a lovely color in Bernat Satin called Wine Country Heather. (The color doesn't show well in this tiny image, sorry.)



Having discovered there is a weekly knitting hour at work during lunch and being graciously invited by my work editors, I am going to start working on it and see if I can get it done ASAP to deliver to her. At least it can stay in my office at work - it's great working with people who understand the need to knit a row as a substitute for ripping someone's head off!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger georg said...

I sent slippers to my last hospitalized friend. I hate being cold in the hospital!

I hope she feels better soon.

And welcome to the Romantic Yarn zoo. :)

9:58 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Maura, what a lovely thing to do for your SIL! I'm wishing her all the best. Open heart surgery works miracles these days (my father had it a few years ago). I hope she'll be better than new when it's all over.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

The shawl will be beautiful and much appreciated!

Cindi

11:45 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

That is a beautiful shawl and the color will be really rich. I'm sorry that she is going through this time...but, your healing wishes will come through as you knit this...

2:19 PM  
Blogger Maura Anderson said...

Cast on and knit about 6 rows at lunch today. I think it will be gorgeous!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Am I right in thinking that the shawl is in entrelac (a stitch pattern I love)?

9:15 PM  
Blogger Maura Anderson said...

Actually it's a fairly simple cable crossing in an 8 row repeat, every 4th row is a cross - first all all cables on a row cross in front, the next time all cables on a row cross behind.

Up to the 3rd repeat of the pattern - I'll try to take a picture over the weekend.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home