Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Can you have too much fun?

I'm never content to just have one project on the ol' needles. Restless excitement to do lots of neat things at once always hits me, and next thing I know, I'm casting on something new.

Here's an update on my current projects: Four squares I've finished for the Knit a Square charity.


Simple garter stitch and colorful 100% wool, I think these will piece together nicely into part of a blanket for a child in South Africa. This has been my take-along project, and I've done most of this knitting at my kids' school events, doctor visits and etc. I'd like to do at least 20 of these (1/2 a blanket).

Below is the Wash's Sweater (Big Damn Sweater) from Firefly. It's my reward project for hitting daily word count goals on the current novel.



I'm loving the sweater. A very easy pattern, and nice cables and double moss stitch to spice it up. I can't wait to get it done. The novel (book 4) is coming along nicely and will probably be done before the sweater. (I can't believe book 2, Magic in the Blood came out 2 weeks ago, and is in stores now. Time doesn't fly, it jets!)

Next up? Toys for two different auctions to raise money for authors who are struggling with serious health issues. I love making toys, and so far I've offered to knit the auction winners one of these toys:

Ala & Ela's Little Faye Bear, Susan B. Anderson's Elefante, Alan Dart's Jultomtar & Teeny Tomte

I'm trying to think of a "western" themed toy to donate to the second auction. Any ideas?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that elephant. He's so cute!

Alan Dart has a cowboy pattern that's pretty adorable. It was in issue 44. I'm not sure if it's avaliable any where else.

http://www.simplyknitting.co.uk/search/simplyknitting?q=cowboy&c=Latest+and+past+issues

3:27 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

I loved seeing all your projects, Devon. That sweater is beautiful and I agree - the elephant is so cute. Gorgeous yarn on the squares.

5:29 PM  
Blogger LisaB said...

Off the topic, but I must say that I just finished reading your first book in the Magic series and really loved the way you set up your world.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Devon Monk said...

Meshaliu: I love that elephant too. And thanks for the link!

Cindi: Thank you! I'm still in the "honeymoon" stage of the sweater. I hope that lasts all the way to the end. ;)

LisaB: I'm so glad you enjoyed the world building in Magic to the Bone. It's a fun world to write. Thank you for reading!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Maura Anderson said...

All great projects but I love the sweater. I'm trying to get my courage up to try a sweater!

I think I've seen a stuffed horse on Ravelry. That might work for a western-themed auction.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

The toys are darling! And I love the deep jewel tones of your blanket squares. As for the sweater, I still have summoned up the courage to try cables. Right now, lace-knitting is all I can handle in the way of challenges. I just went back to the endless white lace scarf I can't seem to finish. Sigh.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

That should be "I still have NOT summoned up the courage to try cables." I should never type this late at night...

11:06 PM  
Blogger Nephele said...

Have you seen the Knitted Babes books? The second one has a cowboy and his horse.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home