Sunday, May 10, 2009

I'm New Around These Sticks....

Thanks for the warm welcome, ladies! I found this blog very much by accident (okay, I WAS procrastinating from a synopsis I need to work on by surfing knitting blogs) and was very happy to see more knitting authors!

I'm a writer with technical books published under my legal name and multiple genres of erotic romance epublished under my pen name. I'm in the process of writing like mad and trying to break into New York at the moment but, most importantly for this blog, I KNIT.

I am actually multi-crafty -- I make jewelry, knit, crochet,... Way too many to admit to. *blush*

I only taught myself to knit about two years ago because I was sure I needed yet one more hobby. I didn't anticipate how much I'd like it or how addictive it is, though. With the help of the internet and a few handy knitting "how-to" videos, I learned continental knitting and I was off and running.

I've made a lot of wash-cloths, scarves and hats and recently decided to give lace a whirl. When I wanted something not too fine, I decided on the Hemlock Ring Blanket by the wonderful Brooklyn Tweed. I'm in the seemingly endless round of binding off the thing now. I did it in a sunny acrylic I happened to have in my stash because I didn't want to waste really expensive yarn on something I wasn't sure I could succeed at. This means blocking the thing is a huge unknown at the moment but, hey, I'll enjoy it!

Yes - I realize I'm conflicted, thank you.. :)

This is the center of the blanket. I need to be better at taking photos of projects in progress.



I'm trying not to start new knitting projects until this bind off is done. Otherwise it may linger forever as a UFO. Of course I used my own rules-lawyering ability to convince myself it was okay to work on a crochet project too - I'm making some cotton shopping bags for grocery shopping from a 1970's pattern. I'll try to take some pictures of them when they're more than a strip of ecru-colored cotton.

I'm happy to be here and will enjoy having a place to talk about all my knitting adventures!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that's gorgeous! I'm in awe. Never learned how to knit, just crochet. :)

8:48 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Great Choice! It is a really beautiful pattern. Glad to have you aboard!

10:34 PM  
Blogger LizzieK8 said...

Glad to see you here.

Acrylic blocking is done by throwing it in the washer and dryer.

Congrats on finishing it. I love to start long term projects...they rarely get finished, tho....

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Cathy said...

Welcome to the blog! As to blocking acrylic--if, once you get it off your needles and it doesn't lay the way you want, you'll have to "kill" the acrylic. Pin it out the way you want it to lay. The steam it until (if you're like me anyway) your hair frizzes and your glasses fog. DO NOT touch the acrylic with an iron!!! That will make your yarn melt and you will be very unhappy. In fact, I reccomend a garment steamer--no hot spot to melt your acrylic, just lots of steam. Wait for it to cool and dry, and it should stay like that pretty much forever.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Devon Monk said...

Welcome aboard! I'm the other new gal here. That's a lovely project, well done! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the blocking goes swimmingly.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

welcome to these here sticks! Hemlock ring is wonderful but yes, gets a bit monotonous...keep at it, it does eventually end!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Maura Anderson said...

Thanks for the welcome, folks!

I'm anxious to get the hemlock ring finished because I have NEW projects calling my name and I'll wash and dry it, then try to steam it if it's too ruffly. Or I could pretend I meant it that way and ignore it :)

I may invest in a fabric steamer anyway.... hmmm....

I think I discovered one important secret to lace while knitting the hemlock ring blanket - count OBSESSIVELY. Every time I got to feeling a bit too confident and didn't count, I did something wrong and had to rip back. I needed a new OCD behavior, no?

12:34 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Welcome, Maura! It's wonderful to have you here!

That is SO true about lace-knitting! I just started it myself and if it weren't for life-lines I'd be wearing a strait-jacket right now. Even with them, I've come close to the looney bin.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home