Thursday, March 05, 2009

Cats and Knitting

This is our cat, Burt. Looks harmless and innocent, doesn't he? Just minding his own feline business, and perhaps posing like an ancient Egyptian statue for the camera. Hey, he knows when he looks good. He's always been friendly, ever since he found himself living in the wild and decided to adopt us, living under our deck for a few weeks until we took him in.


This, too, is Burt. Again, apparently minding his own business. Keeping his eye on that clapotis shawl while it blocks, but clearly saying, "See? I'm just guarding it for you. I'm not touching it. I'm within clawing range...but I'm being good." Nice kitty. He's still remembering those cold nights under the deck, trying to catch his own food and more often than not, going hungry. So he's trying to follow the rules, even if they make no sense to him. I mean, why NOT lie on the knitting? It's soft! And why the heck did I put it down there if I didn't want him to lie on it? Sheesh, humans.





Alas, this too is Burt. Oh, how the mighty have fallen! As it turns out, he was merely "guarding" all that knitting while biding his time, waiting for his chance. And when he saw his opportunity, he seized it...crawling into my knitting bag to snooze atop my Graceful shawl, in progress. I guess he feels comfortable enough with us these days that he can be naughty with impunity.

Now, he was cute enough that I had to take his picture before shooing him out of the bag. But I'm saving that to blackmail him in the future. You never know when it will come in handy...

13 Comments:

Blogger Bunny Queen said...

He's lovely! One advantage of having big cats (12 & 15 lbs) and liking smallish knitting bags is that the cats just don't fit in the bag. Blocking, however, is another issue. :)

5:20 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Hee, hee.....go Burt!

We have 2 felines here, a 15 yr. old, 9 lb. female and a 5 yr old 15 lb. male. They both seem oblivious to the knitting, the yarn and any and all acoutrements. Occasionally they get an itch to sit on my lap while I'm knitting and sit on the skein/ball (thus impeding my progress)...but that's it.

I think they're aliens.

Kim in IA

10:49 PM  
Blogger VillageCrone said...

Antonio (5 years, 20 pounds!) adopted us also. He appeared on our deck one day and has been my knitting budddy ever since.

Antonio loves to climb on my lap wile I knit. I have to make sure that all WIPs are in secure bags or he will nuzzle the yarn.

Our other big cat, Tiger (6 years 19 pounds) couldn't care less for the fiber arts.

Love my cats, love my knitting.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Burt is a hunk of a cat! It is funny how cats sneak up on being wicked, isn't it? I love furry creatures; they always bring laughter into a day when you most need it.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

What is it with stray cats and decks? That's where our Squeaky showed up three Januarys ago. She's been with us ever since, and she too likes to lay atop my knitting. She likes to unravel it occasionally too but, what the heck, she's cute and she knows it.

1:10 PM  
Blogger monica said...

Burt is gorgeous! And what cat can resist curling up in a nice, comfy bag of yarn and knitting

2:26 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

He's beautiful! I can't really blame him for wanting to cuddle with that warm, cozy yarn!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Renna said...

Burt's a handsome cat. Good luck training him to stay clear of your knitting, though. In my experience, cats do pretty much whatever they wish.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I think I'm in love!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Such a cutie! Cute enough to forgive the cuddling of the yarn, right?

3:05 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

LOL, Bunny! I should stick to socks, I guess...Burt can't get into THOSE bags.

Kim, your cats are definitely aliens. No question about it!

VillageCrone, I agree, love my cat AND my knitting. (And my dog, though he couldn't care less about yarn.)

Ooh, Nancy, I'll have to tell Burt you said he was a hunk. Wonder how to meow that?

Fran, LOL! Decks and cats, interesting. I suppose it's a way of being sheltered while still being outside?

Liz

3:10 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

Thanks, Monica. So far Burt hasn't actually crawled into a bag, though any knitting left carelessly on the sofa is fair game.

Cindy, I agree about soft, cozy yarn. However, Burt has his own afghan, folded and set on a nice warm radiator. So I don't know why he decided to go for a WIP complete with needles sticking out instead!

I agree, Renna, Burt--and all cats--are totally independent. They train us, not the other way around.

Thanks, Barbara. Burt is definitely a sweet natured cat, so he can be forgiven much! As Nicole said. He's too cute to stay mad at him for long...

Liz

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Burt is too cute. I have 3 cats to contend with here, so I know what you're saying.
The cats can be invisible, but let me take my knitting out....and all of a sudden I have company.
Your shawl is beautiful.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home