Friday, May 09, 2008

Trouble with the end

O ye goddesses of knitting, I need your advice!
I went by your excellent suggestions and made my sister-in-law's scarf match her height. Of course, I did this partly to avoid starting a third skein of cashmere so I really wanted to end it quickly.
The only problem is: I didn't have quite enough yarn to do the entire border on the end. I had to shorten it by two rows. Here's the photo showing the two ends together. The top one is the "short" end. The bottom is the beginning. I honestly don't think anyone but me would notice the difference.
However, if I decide I want to make them match, is it possible to open up the cast-on end, rip out two rows, and then bind it off somehow? If so, can you point me to some directions? Or is this risky and foolhardy?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Redford Phyl said...

I've done it with toe-up socks. You'll probably need to pick each stitch out. You can't just rip it. On a positive note, you'd end up with identical cast-offs.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the cast on end much better. Open the last ball of cashmere and finish the end the way the pattern says. Use the left over for something for yourself. Holly in CT

10:38 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

If it will bother you til the end of time, go back and change it. If it won't, just move forward to another project. Your SIL will never notice (unless she is a knitter, but since you are making her a scarf, I am assuming that she isn't - thus she will never figure it out).
Go with your gut.
Good luck!

7:40 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

I'm with Laura on this....much depends upon your own personality.
Personally, I'd wrap it up as is and not lose any sleep over it. A slight, and most likely overlooked imperfection in the final product simply proves it was handmade with love, not machine made or store bought.

Kim

10:36 AM  
Blogger Nephele said...

I think it looks fine as is and the first commenter is right: you'd have to unpick each stitch. Knitting doesn't unravel from the cast on end, hence the need for provisional cast ons.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I have taken all your comments under careful consideration--thanks for all the useful thoughts--and decided to leave it as is.

I also asked my daughter to look at the ends, even telling her there was something different and it took her some time to figure out what it was. So it can't be too obvious and I don't want to pick each stitch out.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home