Tuesday, May 06, 2008

How long should a scarf be?



Ginny and I are crying in our cheer towels: the Devils got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. The good news: I got a lot of scarf knitting done as I watched my team go down in defeat.

In fact, I got so much knitting done (I needed to soothe my nerves as the Rangers harried Brodeur) that I'm pretty close to finished with my commissioned scarf. However, here's my question--and I always have this issue with scarves: how long should a scarf be?

Currently, this one is 63 inches long (unblocked). If I make it any longer, I will have to start a new skein of very expensive Mongolian cashmere (which I have in my possession but it's returnable). So what do the pros on RTY think?

How long do you make your scarves?

(Ginny, there's always next season, right?)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Nephele said...

The usual 'rule' is to match the height of the person. Six feet tall? Six foot scarf.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

Well, the last game at the Rock was not fun. I was surrounded. I then became a huge Penguins fan.
Yep, I'm looking forward to next year, but we may be downsizing from 4 seats to 2.
I did get a lot of sock knitting done, but perhaps the gauge was a little tight during the games.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Nephele, what a handy way to figure it out! 63 inches may be just right then since the recipient is a bit taller than I am.

Oh, Ginny, it must have been awful at The Rock that last night! At least watching at home I had no Rangers fans to contend with. I'm a Penguins fan now too! LOL!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Saren Johnson said...

Depends, hubby and youngest daughter wanted long scarves which reached the floor. The Eldest wanted a short one.

8:58 AM  
Blogger kshotz said...

I use the same rule of thumb as nephele and aim for the height of the person when they haven't expressly told me if they like "long" scarves. It usually turns out just right!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Beadknitter said...

I've always found 5 to 6 feet a good length for a scarf. Remember a knitted scarf will stretch a bit with wear too.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depends on the scarf. A little lace scarf will be maybe 3 feet. For a thick winter scarf I agree with Nephele--go with the person's height.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Thanks so much for all the great scarf advice! Based on your comments, I'm going to try to finish this one where it is so I don't have to use that expensive third skein of cashmere. Of course, I'm not positive I'll have enough to do the border since I have to have a full triangle at the end. But I'm going to give it the old college try.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home