Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Spring Has Sprung!

At least I thought I heard the "boing, boing, boing" when my pretty pansies started blooming. And I could swear I smelled that wonderful smoke-y aroma that says someone's fired up the grill for a cook-out. Even my daffodils, lily of the valley and crocuses were poking up out of the ground.




Then Mother Nature - bad girl! - decided she wasn't quite through with us and tossed some more snow our way. Not a lot of snow, as you can see in the picture, but just enough to let us know that this endless winter hadn't ended.


So what's an antsy, angsty gardener to do when she can't get outside? Besides read seed catalogs and the "Grow" section of the newspaper - and work on her new book, of course. She knits some socks, that's what! I can't remember if I already posted this picture, which I took a while back, but here's my latest pair of socks.

I also knitted a kind of cross between a tote and a purse and felted it but I haven't been able to get my camera to work properly yesterday or today so I can show it to you. Which is a real shame because I've got a great "Spring Has Sprung" prize I'm going to put up as soon as the silly thing starts working again.

What's happening weatherwise where you are? Sleet, snow, sunshine? And what are you planning to make to celebrate spring?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger LauraP said...

Flash floods here -- just enough excitement to give us all something to talk about, plus some extra work with the cleanup to work off those extra pounds that accumulated over the winter.

Love the socks!

8:22 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Fran, we must live in the same place! I woke up to a light dusting of snow all over everything on April 1 - I'm weary of Mother Nature's sense of humor!

I finally knit up the sock yarn I won from this very blog back in the Yarnapalooza event last October as my way of defying winter and bidding a warm welcome to spring. You can see the photo on my blog at:

http://kshotz.blogspot.com/2008/03/socks-again-something-completely.html

Kim

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snow! So incredibly ridiculous! More snow this Friday. Spring, flowers, buds ... I believe they will never arrive here.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Nephele said...

I'm in California, near San Francisco. You can pretty much garden all year here - sometimes it's too soggy but that's about it. The irony is that I live in a second story apartment and I don't much like gardening anyway.

It's supposed to drizzle a bit later today. Oh, and everything is blooming - achoo!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Everybody's socks look wonderful! Kim, your prize yarn knitted up into a fabulously zippy pattern.

Oh gosh, snow and flash floods! I'm going to stop complaining (which I have been doing, of course) about mere rain and wind since it's nothing compared to YOUR weather. Laura, you are a master of looking on the bright side when you can view flash flood cleanup as a good way to lose winter weight! LOL!

Today in NJ it's bright, sunny, and chilly--about 49. But the crocuses and daffodils are blooming, and, like Nephele, my children are starting to need Claritin.

I'm still working on the red cashmere scarf which is not such a hardship. However, I want to get to that sparkly cream yarn I bought on impulse awhile ago. A light lace scarf says "spring" to me.

4:38 PM  
Blogger georg said...

Here's my latest finished project.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2390811410_f64d78b169.jpg?v=0

That's the blue and white yarn I won a while ago from Barbara Breton. :)

Pattern for the socks is available on Ravelry. Peek in thegeorg's projects for the links.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home