Monday, December 24, 2007

Night of the Luminaria


(My house with the luminaria along the street.)

We just came in from lighting the luminaria in front of our house. Our next-door neighbors started the tradition several years ago, enlisting every household in setting out white paper bags with candles lit in them. Now on Christmas Eve people come from all over town to drive through our display.


(The street corner.)

What I love most about the occasion is that it gets everyone in the neighborhood out on the streets at the same time. We greet each other, chat about holiday plans, help light each other's candles and smile alot. It's the only time I talk with some of my neighbors; our lives are all so busy and we spend so much time in our cars rather than strolling outdoors. It's a lovely, if brief, moment of getting back in touch with the folks who live all around us.

Happy Holidays to everyone here at RTY, and thank you for being part of my "virtual neighborhood"!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy, happy holidays.

3:25 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

The luminaria are so festive -- very pretty.

6:15 PM  
Blogger ~Tonia~ said...

Ooooo so pretty and festive. I would love to do that around us, but we live out in the country and I don't think there are enough paper bags to go around. LOL

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home