Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Famous Fiesta La Boheme Shawl


That's the pattern's name: The Famous Shawl. What it really is is The Embarrassingly Easy Shawl. Garter stitch all the way, baby. Alaska colourway. Big bad-ass needles. One YO per row.
And considering the way Fiesta Starburst La Boheme fought me, that was more than enough. If you haven't worked with La Boheme, it's actually wonderful yarn and gorgeous in the fibery flesh but it has a quirk that can drive a knitter nuts. LB is two separate strands of yarn: one mohair blend, one sparkly rayon. Which is all just fine. I mean, who hasn't knitted with two strands before, right? Well, the thing is the two strands of La Boheme don't play nice together. The mohair likes to run away from the rayon and before you know it you have an eighteen inch loop of extra mohair wrapped around the nicely-tensioned rayon. Yes, you fall into a rhythm of smoothing and straightening but it's incredibly annoying and I think it would be problematic in a more intricate pattern.
Then again, maybe it's just me . . .
Anyway, the shawl reached its new owner today on her birthday and we're both delighted!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger ~Tonia~ said...

It is very lovely.

10:58 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

I think it's beautiful! Today is my son's birthday as well....seems like a popular day to be born! I really like the colorway; it's just gorgeous.

Kim

10:14 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

The colors of the shawl remind me of the incredible shades the water has in the Carribbean, not a bad thing to bring to mind in this nasty weather we're having in NJ (although it's nastier farther north, I know). Thanks for the warning about the yarn; lovely to look at but tough to work with. The end result is stunning!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

The shawl is beautiful and I love that colorway.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Sherry Schaefer said...

I've knit around 20 of the Fiesta Famous Shawls for friends and charity auctions. While the issue of the mohair strand running away from the rayon strand can be annoying, and not for everyone to deal with, I love this yarn too much to stop knitting with it.

Very nice website! ss

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home