Saturday, January 13, 2007

My Stash Or Yours?


Fran had a great idea and I'm going to shamelessly steal and run with it.

I hereby declare this the Season of Stash and I also hereby declare that between now and the Vernal Equinox I will knit (assuming I ever knit again) only from stash . . . mine or somebody else's.

(Emergency purchases don't count.)

(According to THE Wendy, neither does sock yarn.)

(Or fancy-shmancy extra-special gift yarn.)

"Fine for you," I can hear some of you saying, "but we're not all crazy stashaholics who are actually losing square footage to worsted and DK. Some of us have it under control already."

So how does an ongoing Yarn Exchange sound to you? Nothing formal. Nothing fancy. If you have something you'd like to swap for something else, let us know. Either write to me or post it in comments and I'll post it here with your details. Photos welcome if you have 'em. (Don't worry if you don't.)

It can be a one-for-one swap or a simple yarn adoption with no strings attached. It's your call and your deal.

Knit from your stash or knit from mine. Share the results with us right here. Swap yarns you're tired of for yarns you crave.

Knitters, what do you think?

10 Comments:

Blogger Fran Baker said...

Oh, good. I've got some Noro I'm going to use up. Any suggestions on what to make? I'd rather not felt another purse.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Fran, if you have two or three skeins of Noro, I'd consider the simple multidirectional scarf which looks intricate and beyond gorgeous in anything Noro.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

I actually signed up for a couple of the Knit from Your Stash blogs.
I have a bunch of cones of sock yarns, and I hate to say, I don't want to use the cascade I won in the Get Felted contest. The colors are so pretty and I don't want to felt it!
I have a few other stragglers I have no patterns for so I am game- sign me up!

9:36 PM  
Blogger dobarah said...

Oh..I would do garterlac in a scarf! I hear it takes 3 skeins.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Oh yeah--I'm dumping, er, I mean, giving away that #@()&*$#(@$#& sock yarn.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm already swapping with other people--mostly sock yarn. "Here, take this red/atumnal colored sock yarn. There's enough for another pair of socks, and I picked the color for a SIL, so I'll never wear it." "I'll trade you a skein of Opal for it--it's turning into an ugly lightning bolt design for me, and I can't stand it!" We were both happy with that trade, and moved on--"Here, take this Cascade in orange and yellow. I can't seem to get it to do anything! Oh, and take this Opal handpainted my MIL gave me--orange and turquoise? What were they thinking!" "OK, but take this ball of Opal handpainted--it's the same colors as the one you picked out yourself--you can have 4 socks that match!" The "lighting bolt" Opal wasn't lightning bolts for me, but I still like it, and she's happy with her red socks. Now we'll see what other socks we wind up with. It's nice gifting yarn that you can't seem to do anything with to someone and see what they come up with.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Fran - Lucy Neatby has a wonderful diagonal scarf pattern that looks great in Kureyon or Silk Garden. I also second Barbara's recommendation for the multi-directional scarf. Either pattern gives you a lot of bang for your knitting time.

1:08 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Swapping sounds great! Now I just have to wade through the guest room and see what I have.....I think there's even a bed in there which my husband keeps encouraging me to 'rediscover!'

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's a lovely idea. Now I'll know what to do with the odd skein or two left over from sweaters -- post them here! Someone will be able to use them, right?

11:29 AM  
Blogger Jamie Denton said...

I love this idea! I hate when I over buy yarn for a project. Once I use a yarn, I have a strange aversion to using it again. It's like a rerun or something. No problem with patterns, but just can't do yarn.

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home