Thursday, January 04, 2007

Help Wanted!


My Darling Daughter turned seventeen yesterday...and passed her driver's test. I won't go into the emotional trauma this causes me on many fronts because I'm sure you can all imagine it.

One of the gifts I gave her was this ball of yarn with a promise to turn it into a pair of "flap mittens" (I don't know the proper name for this accesory): you know, the ones that are fingerless mitts with a flap that flips over the fingers to turn them into warm mittens.

These are de rigueur for marching band practice so you can both play your instrument and keep your fingers warm between pieces. She's worn her old ones out and I was originally going to just buy her an already-knitted pair. Then I saw this yarn and fell in love. What, I wondered, could I make with this gorgeous Malabrigo in a color my DD would adore? Eureka! Flap mittens!

This is where you all come in. I need a good simple pattern that will work with Malabrigo. I'm quite convinced someone in this great group will know of one so I'm seeking your help. (Notice these will not be square or rectangular, thus fulfilling one of my New Yarn Resolutions.) Any suggestions? (Also, what are these doohickeys really called?)

9 Comments:

Blogger Kenyetta said...

SnB Nation has a pattern for Convertible mittens that requires chunky yarn, I don't know what weight that gorgeous yarn you have is.
Also, knittingpatterncentral.com has lots of mitten patterns.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Thanks a million, Kenyetta! I'll go check those sites out right away.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Lizardknits said...

www.knitty.com has a mitten pattern called "Broadstreet". It's a convertible mitten. Click on "archive", then choose "mitten" to find it.

Hope this helps!,

lizard_knits AT hotmail DOT com

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Berroco just sent out its weekly newsletter with free patterns for convertible mittens. www.berocco.com

Anne (leedham@bigfoot.com)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

You guys are great! And now I know they're called convertible mittens which is a lot more impressive than flap mittens.

10:21 PM  
Blogger monica said...

I had to make fingerless gloves for my marching band daughter too. We have not had too much need for hand cover of any type this year with our unseasonably warm winter. Beware, you will be asked to make them for her entire section, everyone loved my daughter's. And her earflap hats were a big hit too.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Thanks for the warning, Monica! Knitting for your kids can get you in trouble, can't it? When I made my son the soccer scarf my husband tried to convince me that I should knit one for each of the 18 members of the team.

6:12 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Goodie! Can't wait to check out those patterns myself. And Nancy, that's beautiful yarn!

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mittens/gloves that the top pops off of are sometimes called PopTop Gloves. Berroco has a pattern for them

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home