Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Stashbusting plan


This is just a small portion of my stash. I spent an hour in the attic yesterday, intending to just pull out the yarn for a couple of projects. I'm distractable, though, so I ended up digging through boxes, tubs, and trunks of fabric & fiber. Fun, fun, fun! I found bags of bargains I'd forgotten about. Wow, it was just as much fun as the shopping the first time around, but I didn't have to spend any more money. I ended up with this big pile at the bottom of the attic ladder.

Wow, what a mess! I left it there for a while. Then I tossed it all into a big box. And thought about how frustrating it would still be to pull out a skein and start the whole process all over again...you know the questions...was the pattern in the book on the shelf or in an issue of Cast-on? And wasn't there more somewhere?

.

My solution? Zip-lock bags! I packaged the yarn & patterns together into kits, then sorted the kits by type. One box for sweaters. Another for vests. A third for hats, hands & foot stuff. I'm so proud (and somewhat unsettled by the thought that I may be turning into my grandmother.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Good for you - organizing like that. I think it will make it easier to end up with the finished products... And you'll only be like "that grandma" if your grandkids inherit the untouched boxes of organized yarn...

9:51 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

What a good idea, Laura! I'm going to steal it. Because I've got too much yarn and too many patterns and when the two get separated ... it's a mess. Thanks for the tip!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Now that's impressive: both the stash pile and the organization!

10:19 PM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Wow! Amazing (on so many levels!)

Trying not to covet....trying not to covet....trying not to.....

Kim

10:34 PM  
Blogger monica said...

Kudos to you, I have the time to do that , now that the kids are back in school. If only that couch weren't so inviting after the youngest gets on the bus. I will be forced to organize it here soon enough, when we start painting uhg!

12:16 AM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

I envy you, your stash and your organization!
After I move, I am going to steal your idea!

8:17 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

I just keep walking by the boxes and smiling, wondering if the organizing binge will last long enough to get this house in order.

Really, this is so unlike me. I get into these organizing binges every 5 years or so and wish I could stick with it. It's counter to my nature, but the sense of order is so nice while it lasts.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home