Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Daring Proposal for the New Year


Okay, how about this: we each knit something wonderful in January (or January and February and March) and actually keep it for ourselves!

Has this ever been done before in the annals of knitting history? We've all spent countless knithours creating masterpieces (okay, maybe not masterpieces but some really nice stuff created with lots of love if not expertise [yes, I'm speaking about myself]) for people we love (who will--we can pray--love the fact we made them handknit goodies) and waved goodbye as it all went flying out the door for Hanukkah and Christmas and Kwanzaa and every other holiday celebration during the year.

Don't get me wrong. I love knitting for people I love. I love knitting for charities close to my heart. But, damn it, right now what I really want to do is knit something and keep it for myself! There. I said it.

I want to knit something wonderful (or at least acceptable) and keep it for myself! I want to make something JUST FOR ME!

I'm going to gather up some gorgeous Debbie Bliss Cashmerino and make myself a long pair of arm/wrist warmers that reach the elbow (think stripper gloves) and cover my hand practically to the fingertips.

Anyone else out there feeling the need for tweed. . . sweaters, that is . . . or soft cushy socks . . . or a felted tote (hello, Nancy!) . . . or a great winter cap . . . or a spectacular lace shawl?

Post-holiday blues? Not around this blog. Break out the chocolate. Open a bottle of wine. Dig into your stash for the perfect yarn for the perfect item for your perfect self.

And join me.

Maybe this can be a knitalong. Maybe there will be prizes. Maybe. Whaddya say, knitters? Let me know via comments or at wickedsplitty and I'll start the ball (of yarn) rolling.

(Nancy, I couldn't help swiping your fab photo of yarn champagne. I think it should be our logo!)

11 Comments:

Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Yes, yes, yes. THis is my new year's resolution. I have a sweater I've started that I want to finish. And if there's time I want to knit the two pairs of socks I have yarn for. Wonderful, Barb.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Love, love, love the idea, Barbara! I'm going to knit myself a pair of socks. And maybe a shrug! Sign me up.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

Sign me up! I have been trying to start Sunrise Circle for myself since the summer.

8:22 PM  
Blogger monica said...

I think it sounds fun. I still have stuff to finish for others though too, but would love something for myself.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Jamie Denton said...

Knit something for moi? Is that even a possibility? I've been wanting to make myself a pair of socks with some self-striping yarn I bought and a pair of wrist warmers.

With all the Christmas knitting out behind me, I just finished up a sweater for my oldest grandson's birthday next month, made a snood for my mom just because it's cold in North Dakota and I thought she could really use it, and today started a sweater for one of granddaughters with a birthday next month as well. Then I've got a couple of those London Beanies Cindi talked about to make for two of my sons with birthdays coming up in Feb and March. By the time I get around to making those wrist warmers, winter will be but a distant memory.

12:22 AM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Oh yes! Most definitely! I'm not starting anything new until I finish The Never-Ending Shawl, which is mine, mine, mine and keeps getting pushed down the priority list by Other People's Projects.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Great minds think alike - I'm hosting the It's NOT a Gift! KAL over at my blog - y'all are welcome to join us!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:19 AM  
Blogger georg said...

I'm almost done with my second pair of socks. :)

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Sad for me, I'm 8" into a cabled vest for my dad and have to finish that before I can make anything for myself. (Wall Street, from the Best of Arans & Celtics book, fwiw. Easy pattern, lots of fun to knit, and so far I've only miscrossed one cable. ::sigh::)

But maybe I'll join the party later on, once the vest is finished. I could use a new sweater. :)

4:19 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I'm all for it! As soon as I finish my husband's slightly overdue scarf. In fact, I overbought the cashmere and can't return it because I already had it wound so I may use it to make a similar scarf for myself because the wool is just so gorgeous and warm against one's neck. Then I'll make the tote and keep it too.

I'm delighted you like my champagne photo; I knew that darned sock yarn would be useful for something. If you want to adopt the picture as our logo I'd be honored.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home