Monday, January 15, 2007

Knitting and Writing

Ways in which my approach to writing and my approach to knitting are the same:

1. I always have more ideas I want to write -- and projects I want to knit -- than I will ever have time for.

2. I have all these incomplete/future projects stashed around my office and/or craft room (aka spare bedroom.) I use the many tote bags I get from writing conferences to hold yarn, patterns, needles for things I'm going to make someday. And file folders for the book and story ideas.

3. Halfway through the current project, the new one beckons almost irresistably. The middle of the book is the hardest part for me and invariably that 'new' book idea sounds like so much more fun. And more times than I can count, when I'm halfway through a knitting project, I see a new yarn or pattern and think how much fun it would be to start that right now!

4. When I'm working on a book and in the flow, time flies and I'm lost to everything else. Same for knitting.

Ways in which knitting and writing are nothing alike:

1. No one edits my knitting.

2. Most of the writing is done on a deadline. I can't abandon a book in the middle to start something else. I sometimes do put aside a knitting project to make something else.

3. Knitting is just for me and people I make gifts for. Writing it something I share with the world.

4. My writing job pays for my knitting hobby.

And now for a picture.
A bad hair day prompted me to set aside the sweater I'm working on and knit a headband. It's a simple seed stitch knit on size 7 needles with Lion wool-ease. (Speaking of stash, I don't have much of one. What I do have is 5 or 6 skeins of various colors of Wool-ease. I don't even remember how I got them.)

3 Comments:

Blogger LauraP said...

Love the headband! Did you knit in the round or as a long strip, joined when you reached the length?

11:26 AM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Thanks Laura. I knit in a long strip -- kept trying it on my head until it fit. I cast on 8 stitches, then k1,p1 the first row, p1,k1 the second and so on until it seemed long enough. Took about an hour while watching television.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Pretty headband, Cindi.

Boy, are your "knitting and writing" points ... well, right on point. LOL!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home