Monday, January 15, 2007

The Cat and the Hat




I need another hat like I need another of those proverbial holes in my head. But it is time to use up some of the stash, right? So I pulled out a ball of black-and-white Splash, a ball of black Encore and my size 10 double-point needles and made this hat.


Then it was time to take a picture of the hat so I could post it on the blog. After I took the first pic, I thought it would be fun to put it in front of the sliding doors in the kitchen so you could see the accumulation of ice (and soon, snow!) on my deck. Well, who wanders into the kitchen to look longingly out the door but Squeaky, the feral cat who's lived with us for a year now. I couldn't resist.

So with apologies to the dearly beloved Dr. Suess, I proudly present ... The Cat and the Hat!



Now that I've shared my first Stashable, I have to ask: What are you making from your stash?

8 Comments:

Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Fran, I love your hat! And your cat.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hat is way too cool.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

The hat is an easy rolled-brim pattern. Here 'tis:

1 ball Splash
1 ball Encore worsted in complementary color
16" circular needle in US size 10
Size 10 double pointed needles
1 stitch marker

Using the circular needle and holding 1 strand of each yarn together, cast on 60 stitches, place marker, and join.

Knit for 7 inches, ending at the marker, and begin decreasing as follows (change to double points when necessary):

Round 1: (Knit 8, kn2tog) 6 times
Rounds 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12: Knit
Round 3: (Knit 7, k2tog) 6 times
Round 5: (Knit 6, k2tog) 6 times
Round 7: (Knit 5, k2tog) 6 times
Round 9: (Knit 4, k2tog) 6 times
Round 11: (Knit 3, knit 2 tog) 6 times
Round 13: (Knit 2, knit 2 tog) 6 times
Round 14: (Knit 1, k2tog) 6 times
Round 15: (Knit 2 tog) 6 times - 6 stitchess left

Cut the yarn, leaving a 12" tail, thread it through the remaining 6 stitches, draw up tightly and secure. Weave in ends.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

OMG, I adore that hat! It has such personality. And what could be better than borrowing from Dr. Seuss when serendipity allows it?

4:34 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

cute hat and cat!
I made a baby sweater, and some socks from my stash!

7:03 PM  
Blogger monica said...

I just finished a pair of socks for my sister , knit in left over and single balls of Koigu* six different colors). They turned out pretty nice this pair of Monstersocken, and all stash yarn. I have to confess though, I did buy more yarn today, I couldn't resist...I am so weak!

12:12 AM  
Blogger monica said...

I finished a pair of socks for my sister knit with stash yarn, six different colors of Koigu. They are real Monstersocken. But, I have a confession, I am so weak. I went to the LYS with my sister today and bought MORE yarn. I just can't help myself.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the answer is "everything in 2007." :-) Currently, I'm working on Bonne Marie's "Twist" in some vintage Brunswick Germantown Worsted in "Bright Navy." After that I'm contemplating a pullover in vintage Brunswick Breeze - an acrylic/cotton blend. Yup - going to knit through as much stash as I can. As one of the slowest knitters on the planet, it will take the rest of my life - at least. Love that hat!

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home