Friday, December 22, 2006

GET FELTED - Day 52



***GUEST PET: That's Walter, our 32 year old Double Yellow Head Amazon who moved in with us on 12/30/1974 when he was four months old.

Walter is a Long Island boy, hatched in Bay Shore. For the first ten years he absolutely adored me then one day he took a good look at Goldisox and kicked me to the curb. It was love, I tell you, L-U-V. He worships the ground Goldisox walks on and even whispers "I love you" when he thinks I'm not listening.

He's also scary smart. Witness the use of utensils in the picture. Yes, he's using a spoon to eat some cereal. When you say "bird brain" in our house, believe me it's a compliment.

Walter is also a political commentator. I'm not saying if he's Democrat or Republican, but when Dan Quayle was taking the Oath of Office in January 1989, Goldisox and I were watching the proceedings in relative silence until Walter started running up and down his perch in growing agitation, murmuring "Oh my god . . . oh my god . . . oh my god."

True story and it still makes us laugh. (Walter also likes to interrupt my phone conversations with his impersonation of variouis barnyard animals. I've had more than one customer service rep asked me if I lived with a sheep.)***

I have released myself from knitting bondage. I finished the red felted bowl and decided to keep it for myself. It is now filled with a handful of brightly-colored pens and paperclips. I picked up a sock that had been languishing for months and it felt absolutely wonderful to return to the world of heel flaps and gussets.

Clearly the only way to make something for everyone you love is to start the day after Christmas and keep at it until the Night Before. Otherwise you just do what you can do and hope for the best.

How are the ret of you faring?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Walter sounds like a true character. What fun it must be to have him around all the time!

I think you're right about starting your gift knitting in January. I'm going to adopt that policy next year. On Christmas Eve, my husband's unfinished scarf is going into a gift bag, needles and all. It's the thought that counts, and I've thought a lot about finishing it before Christmas.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Good idea, Nancy. That's what I'm doing with the unfinished pairs of socks - one finished along with the unfinished, needles and all, in a gift bag. Times 3. LOL!

Love that parrot, Barbara. Aren't animals fun? And funny at times?

Merry, happy and hugs to all of us!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home