Thursday, December 21, 2006

Surprise!

Call me childish: I love to be surprised by gifts. They don't have to be expensive or fancy; I just love to know that someone thought of me when I wasn't expecting them to.



This photo shows the gorgeous hat and scarf which arrived on my doorstep last year just before Christmas. The colors are perfect for my red hair because they were chosen by another redhead. Yes, our own Barbara Bretton made and sent these warm accessories to me, completely out of the blue. (Okay, it was Christmas but I wasn't anticipating a glorious handmade gift.) I instantly put them on and went dancing around the house, much to the bemusement of my DH and children. I was so touched that Barbara not only thought of me but MADE something for me with her own hands. So all you guys who are making your presents this year, know that the recipients will find them extra special just like I did.

What's the best surprise gift you've ever gotten?

6 Comments:

Blogger Fran Baker said...

Oh, those are gorgeous, Nancy! And Barbara ... how thoughtful.

My best surprise gift? One Christmas Eve, about 10 p.m., our doorbell rang. My husband went to answer it, and there stood our son, who'd flown in from NY. He caught us totally off guard but we were thrilled to see him and to spend a few days with him.

Isn't this just the best time of year?

11:23 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

That's a great surprise gift, Fran! What a wonderful son you have!

I do love the holidays, despite the stress of having all those extra tasks to do. I love Christmas cards and decorations and the music and the sense of excitement. My son still can hardly contain himself this last week before Christmas and he's 14! It's such fun.

11:08 AM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Beautiful, bright & cheerful -- what a wonderful gift!

My best surprise gift--not sure I can choose. Nothing so dramatic as Fran's son at the door, but I do get all sorts of offbeat, quirky stuff from my family, most of whom share my odd sense of humor.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

What a surprise to see the scarf and hat looking out at me from my computer screen! Trust me, if I'd known then that Nancy was such an accomplished knitter herself I might not have sent off my simple scarf and hat but I was so delighted by our burgeoning friendship (Nancy and I bonded at two conferences and established our Dinner at Sardi's tradition) that I couldn't keep away from the knitting needles.

The particulars on my very basic items: Berroco FOLIAGE in Chinese Lantern. The scarf is the Multi-Directional free pattern available on the 'net. The hat is the Canadian hat by Sally Melville in either the Knit book for the Purl book. Can't remember which at the moment.

Favorite surprise gifts? My first dog when I was 3 1/2. The humongous box of handmade Barbie clothes from my mother when I was 9 1/2. A beautiful gold locket from my first boyfriend when I turned 16. (He turned out to be my only boyfriend; we married two years later. Now he's my only husband.) Feyna's Scarf in baby camel from Dallas last year.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Me, an accomplished knitter!?!?!? I wish!!!! But Barbara, I wouldn't have cared if you had knitted the whole ensemble in garter stitch--it was the delight of receiving a gift from a wonderful friend that made my day.

I'm smiling mistily over your description of your first boyfriend. How romantic is that!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Awww, Barbara ... tell Goldisox we all love him for giving you that locket.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home