Thursday, December 14, 2006

Location, Location, Location

Cindi's post about being productive got me to thinking about where people usually knit. So here's a picture of where most of my needlework takes place: on the couch in my family room. (You can see my yarn bag on the floor to the right of the couch.)

I knit while my family is watching television because, frankly, I'm not a big fan of T.V. but I like to sit with them and chat. They think they're watching the Boob Tube; I know I'm being constructive; and we all end up having a conversation, a rare occurrence in a household ruled by teenagers' busy schedules.

I envy folks who can knit in a moving vehicle. I get horribly, wretchedly carsick if I attempt it. (Reading has the same effect.) I never knit in bed because that's my main reading spot. However, I will take my knitting to family gatherings where I know we'll all be sitting around and talking for the same reasons stated in paragraph one.

Where do you do most of your knitting?


Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

It would be easier to list where I don't do my knitting! I knit in my office when I should be working. I knit in the living room while watching TV with my husband. I knit while watching DVDs on my laptop. (Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a prime favorite.) I knit in the kitchen while I'm waiting for water to boil or keeping an eye on whatever is cooking. I knit while I'm waiting in line just about anywhere. I knit at the movies. I knit while I'm out walking.

Where don't I knit? While I'm in the car but only because I'm the one driving. On the rare occasions someone else is driving, I knit there, too. I haven't figured out how to knit while I'm asleep but I'm working on it!

4:35 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm with Dallas -- where don't I knit?

Well, I don't knit in the car because, like you, it makes me carsick. But I can and do knit on the train -- and I've got over an hour of train travel every day. I knit at home on the couch, and in bed (though it's much easier on the couch!) and in my office during my lunch break, with a book propped open in front of me.

And I'd like to go on record as being a totally lame Felt-alonger as I felted nothing during the month of November. Or so far in December, for that matter. I hang my head in shame.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

I knit mainly in the LR, while "watching TV" with my DH. Like you, though, I can't do anything in a car - no knitting, no reading, no laptop computing. Nothing!

8:58 AM  
Blogger LauraP said...

The living room sofa is my prime knitting spot these days, though on nice days I'll lounge on the front porch with my needles. I knit at my desk when I'm puzzling through a writing problem or on the phone. These days I'm usually the one driving so I don't get much knitting time in the car, though I still keep the needles handy for those road construction delays.

Wendy - Wow! An hour of commute time for knitting every day! (Thwap!) What am I thinking? I don't want the job with the commute...just the guaranteed knitting time. Which I'd have if I managed my time better, right?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

You all are clearly much better at knitting than I am. If I don't concentrate fairly steadily, I mess up big time so I have to sit still and watch what I'm doing. Someday maybe I'll be able to knit without looking at my work.

Wendy, I don't miss the commute but I remember the extra productivity of having two train rides a day to knit. It was also a great way to keep people from sitting beside me: no one wanted to deal with my flying needles and elbows. And don't apologize for not felting; I completely blew off Sock Hopping.

9:17 PM  
Blogger monica said...

I knit everywhere too. I am not plagued with motion sickness, so the car is a prime knitting place. I dread when my husband asks me to drive anywhere, it is just wasted time. I even keep a pair of socks in the car at all times, because you never know when you are going to have to wait somewhere. I do knit in bed occasionally, but never socks, I have fallen asleep knitting and have broken my rosewood needles :( According to my family, I knit 24/7, but I think they may exaggerate just a bit.

9:56 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Nancy - I have to pay attention to the knitting, too. I usually have a full-attention project on the needles, then a couple of no-brainer scarves, washcloths, etc. that don't require as much concentration. And I do have to frog a lot when my attention strays.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home