Thursday, December 14, 2006

Location, Location, Location

Cindi's post about being productive got me to thinking about where people usually knit. So here's a picture of where most of my needlework takes place: on the couch in my family room. (You can see my yarn bag on the floor to the right of the couch.)



I knit while my family is watching television because, frankly, I'm not a big fan of T.V. but I like to sit with them and chat. They think they're watching the Boob Tube; I know I'm being constructive; and we all end up having a conversation, a rare occurrence in a household ruled by teenagers' busy schedules.

I envy folks who can knit in a moving vehicle. I get horribly, wretchedly carsick if I attempt it. (Reading has the same effect.) I never knit in bed because that's my main reading spot. However, I will take my knitting to family gatherings where I know we'll all be sitting around and talking for the same reasons stated in paragraph one.

Where do you do most of your knitting?

6 Comments:

Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

It would be easier to list where I don't do my knitting! I knit in my office when I should be working. I knit in the living room while watching TV with my husband. I knit while watching DVDs on my laptop. (Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a prime favorite.) I knit in the kitchen while I'm waiting for water to boil or keeping an eye on whatever is cooking. I knit while I'm waiting in line just about anywhere. I knit at the movies. I knit while I'm out walking.

Where don't I knit? While I'm in the car but only because I'm the one driving. On the rare occasions someone else is driving, I knit there, too. I haven't figured out how to knit while I'm asleep but I'm working on it!

4:35 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

I knit mainly in the LR, while "watching TV" with my DH. Like you, though, I can't do anything in a car - no knitting, no reading, no laptop computing. Nothing!

8:58 AM  
Blogger LauraP said...

The living room sofa is my prime knitting spot these days, though on nice days I'll lounge on the front porch with my needles. I knit at my desk when I'm puzzling through a writing problem or on the phone. These days I'm usually the one driving so I don't get much knitting time in the car, though I still keep the needles handy for those road construction delays.

Wendy - Wow! An hour of commute time for knitting every day! (Thwap!) What am I thinking? I don't want the job with the commute...just the guaranteed knitting time. Which I'd have if I managed my time better, right?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

You all are clearly much better at knitting than I am. If I don't concentrate fairly steadily, I mess up big time so I have to sit still and watch what I'm doing. Someday maybe I'll be able to knit without looking at my work.

Wendy, I don't miss the commute but I remember the extra productivity of having two train rides a day to knit. It was also a great way to keep people from sitting beside me: no one wanted to deal with my flying needles and elbows. And don't apologize for not felting; I completely blew off Sock Hopping.

9:17 PM  
Blogger monica said...

I knit everywhere too. I am not plagued with motion sickness, so the car is a prime knitting place. I dread when my husband asks me to drive anywhere, it is just wasted time. I even keep a pair of socks in the car at all times, because you never know when you are going to have to wait somewhere. I do knit in bed occasionally, but never socks, I have fallen asleep knitting and have broken my rosewood needles :( According to my family, I knit 24/7, but I think they may exaggerate just a bit.

9:56 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Nancy - I have to pay attention to the knitting, too. I usually have a full-attention project on the needles, then a couple of no-brainer scarves, washcloths, etc. that don't require as much concentration. And I do have to frog a lot when my attention strays.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home