Tuesday, October 24, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 24



The girls of St. Bartholomew's had their own Doctor McDreamy long before Grey's Anatomy came along.

Oh, there were a few girls who claimed to be Ben Casey fans but we knew they were just pretending. How could you not fall under the blue-eyed blond-haired spell of the gorgeous Richard Chamberlain as Doctor Kildare?

(sigh) I feel like I'm thirteen all over again and burning with jealousy over Yvette Mimieux and her love scenes with Doctor McSurfer over there.

So I go out for the day and come home to find Elizabeth has joined us! Is this great or what? A Knitty-caliber knitting novelist/novelisting knitter! If you scroll down about a week you'll find a link to the wonderful 2-needle sock pattern Elizabeth published in the latest Knitty. (BTW, Elizabeth looks like a younger and even prettier Leslie Caron.)

I finished the cuff on Sirdar Highlander sock #1 Redux today. Plain old stockinette. Clearly this addled brain can't handle the hard stuff right now. I'm wondering if I'm socked out. I've been mooning over Lady Eleanor (you're so right about her, Nancy) and dreaming felty dreams. Not to mention a wee bit of an obsession with fingerless mitts that seems to have taken hold of my imagination. Still, I'd love to finish the second Wool-Ease Red Sprinkles spiral and the Highlanders if at all possible before the month is over. I wouldn't mind writing a book too but first things first.

That's a bowl of steaming hot Cape May Clam Chowder photographed by yours truly this afternoon. I do a pretty nifty job of duplicating it with clam juice, two cans of diced tomatoes, bacon, potatoes, onions, green peppers, chopped clams, bay leaf, and a liberal splash of Tabasco.

Faithful readers of Wendy Knits already know this but just in case you missed it, Lucy has her own cheesecake calendar for 2007! All profits will go toward animal rescue so you might want to check it out with an eye toward holiday gift-giving.

Watch this space, knitters. We have some more Get Felted news on the horizon.

8 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

Say, I'd say that's a delicious looking bowl of soup!! (Terrific photo too!!) I sure wish it weren't impossible to get good seafood in Iowa.....*sigh* (Couldn't even get tilapia at the store today...though they had Candadian walleye......*bigger sigh*) Anyway.....guess I'll covet your chowder......

Kim

11:03 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Kim, no need to covet my chowder! If you can find a bottle of clam juice (Snow's and Doxsee are both good) and three cans of chopped clams (again Snow's and Doxsee) you're in business. The recipe is on my website at
http://www.barbarabretton.com/recipes/clam.shtml or http://tinyurl.com/yzbkkq

And thanks for the kind words about the photo. I'm a lot better with food than I am with knitted garments.

11:09 PM  
Blogger georg said...

I bought needles suitable for knitting socks. And Sock yarn. I blame you.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Georg, I blame me too. And I don't think I'm capable of not knitting socks. If I don't have a pair of socks on the needles I feel unsettled. So what are you working on?

11:47 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Lucy makes a great pinup girl, doesn't she? Darling calendar!

Barbara, I meant to comment on an earlier blog that I love your Red Sprinkles socks. I know you say that they don't feel nice but they look fabulous.

I kid you not, I saw the photo of the clam chowder and my stomach growled so loudly that I looked over my shoulder to see who was making that noise behind me.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just have to do a quick cartwheel and a back flip or two through here ...

I finally figured out the backwards sock! Woot! Toe up with heel flap and gusset!

The proportions were the hard part to figure out. I kept ending up with a ginormous gusset, or a weenie little heel flap. But this current version seems to be working.

Now if only I can remember what I did so I can repeat it for the second sock....

12:04 PM  
Blogger georg said...

I am going to do something marginally insane. I've only ever knitted afghans and scarves and the occasional hat. I'm going to try The Wendy's toe-up pattern. On bamboo DPNs. It'll be fun. I figure I can take it to Dart Night while the sweetie is playing in his league and attempt to stitch them.

I never claimed to be stable. It's either that or work on crochetting a bun cover (for hair), and I'm not 100% sure that won't drive me nuts either as I only learned how to crochet recently. Knitting however, I've done for years.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Go, Georg!

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home