Saturday, October 21, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 21

You can tell me the truth: am I the only woman on the planet who just plain doesn't like Harrison Ford? As far as I'm concerned, if he wants socks he can go to Target for them.

Good. Now I've got that out of my system.

I think I went a little sock happy today. I finished up the first of the Wool-Ease Red Sprinkle spiral socks and cast on for #2 which is now at the halfway point on the cuff.

I hate them. I wish I didn't. I want to love them. God knows I loved Sandra's spirals. But these? Ick. They look great They're an easy knit. Unfortunately they feel like string. The lovely softness of the Wool-Ease Fisherman is conspicuously absent. Okay, these are just prototypes for my own amusement but I'm seriously disappointed. I think the problem is whatever fiber they use for the "sprinkles." Admittedly I'm not a good judge of scratchy since I'm wildly allergic to wool against my skin but I've managed to squeak by with some of the superwash sock yarns with no trouble at all. In fact the Wool-Ease Fisherman hasn't bothered me either. But good grief what trouble the Red Sprinkles is giving me. I tried one of the socks on and two minutes later I had big red welts on my instep and hives starting on my hands and arms.

Call me an idiot (believe me, I've called myself worse) but I was also amusing myself with Dad's Easy Cable socks (love love love cabling without a cable needle) in Sirdar Highlander. Yes, heavy wool content there too. Is it any wonder my skin is threatening to mutiny? I finally relented and took an antihistamine and it's calmed things down but this was a reminder that I'm going to need to be masked and gloved when our Get Felted extravaganza begins.

Other than that it was a rainy sunny windy calm oddball kind of day punctuated with bursts of knitting, napping, hot and sour soup, and writing. No complaints here.

So what's on tap this weekend for you?

12 Comments:

Blogger georg said...

Harrison was a carpenter both before and after he got into acting. He's welcome to come work on my house any time. :)

I finished 1 quilt this week. Maybe I can finish the other one I swore I'd finish before allowing myself to start anything new. Like casting on a knitting project.

9:23 AM  
Blogger FairyGodKnitter said...

You're not the only one, I think there is something a little to smug/creepy about him and I hated how he left his wife for that Calista person. i feel better now too.
As for the itchy yarn, I'm fine with wool but can't stand rough socks. I've never seen this yarn but will avoid it now. Pull out something soft and enjoy the soup.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

My husband and I are covering the college games - go, Tigers (MU), Irish (Notre Damne) and Longhorns (UT)!

And I'm going to make some low-fat Lobster & Corn chowder for supper. Anyone interested in the recipe? I'll do Low-Fat and Luscious, Part 3, if so.

Oh, I'm also going to my LYS shortly to pick up some sale yarn. And I have a scene to finish in my new book.

Hope everyone has a happy, productive day!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Fran, I'm drooling over the thought of lobster and corn chowder. Please post the recipe!

I enjoy Harrison Ford's movies (for the most part) because he does the kinds of roles I like: action/adventure heros with humor. I don't find him personally terribly attractive. So now I've said it too.

This weekend? Soccer game, football game, and band competition (I'm Head Roadie for the marching band). Then volunteer duty for a fundraiser on Sunday. At least the weather's pretty. I've exhausted myself just thinking about today so I'm going to go grab a quick nap...

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to say a big THANK YOU as I received the sock yarn I won and a novel by Cindi Myers!!! Gladly, I have that little contraption which hold the book wide open so we can read while we knit :-) Thank you Cindi!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Mrs. H said...

I haven't been turned on by Harrison Ford since "Raiders of the Lost Ark". He was actually kinda sexy in that role. That was 25 years ago, though. He's looking really OLD these days. He's also kind of a "One Note Charlie". If you've seen one of his earnest, monotone roles then you've seen them all.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Mrs. H said...

P.S. I wouldn't want to make him socks anyway. He looks like he wears about a size 14.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Fran, a loud and enthusiastic YES to posting your Lobster & Corn Chowder recipe. You may inspire me to post my (weird) low-fat Tex-Amish Chicken Corn Chowder recipe.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Sharon Hurlbut said...

Can you believe the sun is shining, not a cloud in the sky, and I'm spending the day in the depths of my closet weeding out old clothes and other junk?!

I hope to finish the first of my baby cable rib socks this weekend, provided I don't run out of yarn. My husband keeps asking when I'm going to cast on for his second sock, so I may have to do that too, just to keep up appearances.

Oh, and I just realized that even though I posted about it on my blog, I forgot to mention here that I got my prize yarn and it is gorgeous!! I am totally in love with the colors and dying to make myself a dazzling pair of socks with it. Thank you!!!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to see who does and doesn't float our boats! I'd make socks for Harrison Ford instead of Liam Neeson any day!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I refuse to make socks for anyone at all. However, I'd love to knit Pierce a scarf.

11:59 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Nancy - I'm joining you in the sock grouch club this month. I'll sock another time, I'm sure, but for now, I'm bowing to the inevitable. It's big needle time.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home