Tuesday, October 17, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 17

We saw Yul Brynner in The King and I at Westbury Music Fair in 1975. He stood twenty feet tall on stage and maybe four feet eleven off. Westbury was theater-in-the-round and the actors entered from the audience. I had an aisle seat and I must admit the charismatic king lost a wee bit of his power when I saw him lifted off his feet by two burly boys in black who ran him up and down the aisles for entrances and exits. One of those images that never leave you.

Another image that will never leave me: seeing him sweep Constance Towers (Anna Leonowens) into his arms and launch into Shall We Dance. I burst into tears. The sheer aching romance (the hopelessness) of it was overwhelming (Did I ever tell you that my paternal grandfather's governess was Anna Leonowens? Bet you didn't know she had a daughter too or that she spent a fair bit of time in Halifax, Nova Scotia.) (That's where my grandfather fell under her spell as a boy.)

What does this have to do with knitting? Absolutely nothing except you have to admit that socks would really ruin his ensemble.

Feast your eyes on this gorgeousness from Kim who says, "Ok, so they're not socks. But this is what I did with my free knitting time over the weekend. I am going straight back to my Step socks.....right now.....I promise........."

4 Comments:

Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Nonsense. Every ensemble is improved by a pair of hand knit socks. In this case, I'm thinking something classic and manly with just a little bit of flash. How about Argyles? The King may have been disappointed in love but that doesn't mean he has to have chilly toes.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Hey, no dissing short people! They are just as sexy as tall people. That is so cool that you saw Yul in person.

Kim, you don't have to excuse yourself from knitting socks to me! I'm with ya all the way on the mitts which look warm and comfy.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Beautiful mitts, Kim!

I too always liked Yul. Now, given that I'm 5'8" and he's only 4'+, it might not be a match made in heaven. But I would have been willing to try ...

5:03 PM  
Blogger georg said...

He'd have liked dancing with you, Fran. Short men like dancing with tall women.

He could use knitted bands instead of those tight gold anklets. Or maybe knitted mock sandals that cover the top of the foot, hooking onto a toe and wrapping round the ankle. Put some beads and sequins in there for flash, and toes still enjoy their freedom.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home