Monday, October 30, 2006

Jumping the Gun

Being the amazingly organized person that I am (do I hear raucous laughter somewhere out there?), I went to the LYS and bought two things for our Get Felted extravaganza. Okay, it wasn't really hyper-organization that drove me: it was that I'm so depressed about being a Sock Flop that I couldn't wait until November started and we left all those nasty memories of failure behind. Anyway, this is what I got at the LYS:

First (drum roll), one of the weekly prizes we're giving away to all you Get Felted devotees:



Four skeins of gloriously hued Noro Kureyon yarn, two #194 and two #95, so you can knit one Football Warmer Purse for yourself and one to give as a holiday gift. The pattern for the purse is included with the prize and it's really, really cute.

Second, the supplies for my own first attempt at felting in which I will knit one of the Mason Dixon felted boxes. It's that organizational thing again: I love sorting and storing things by category. If this box works out, I will make lots and lots more in all different colors. Fingers crossed that it doesn't end in the same depressing pile of frogged yarn that my sock did.



Just look at those gorgeous GIANT needles! So much more visible than those nasty little DPNs I tried to knit a sock with. :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

Ooooh, that looks yummy! (I have a friend who laughs everytime I use the word "yummy" in conjunction with yarn.....but doggone it! it seems to fit for me!)

Boxes, eh? I'm going to do bowls!
I think it's the same concept only mine will be round. I'll be interested to learn how you get them square.....is it all in the blocking? I'm sure the pattern must have something to do with it.

Can't wait to see them Nancy!

Kim

9:02 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Bowls? Very interesting. I definitely want to see those!

As for making the boxes square, there seem to be two secrets: knitting with the yarn doubled so the sides have body and don't bulge outward and making a "fold" line by inserting a line of purling amongst the stockinette stitch. At least, that's what the pattern says.

I can't wait to see them either. :-)

11:17 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Well, dang, Nancy, I may just have to sign up for your prizes. (Grinning.) The football purse sounds fascinating. Where'd you get the pattern?

12:36 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Fran, my LYS had the purse on display with the Noro Kureyon yarn and I fell in love with it. They told me where to find the pattern on the internet. It's just darling.

2:00 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Love the yarns. I'm a sucker for anything in shades of green, but Noro & Lamb's Pride both...be still my heart.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Laura, sorry to give you palpitations. :-)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Jean, you have to warn me about the pitfalls of the boxes since I'm embarking on the same project. What should I try hard NOT to do?

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home