Friday, October 27, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 27


I love David Bowie.
There, I said it.
I love the man and I'm
not taking it back.
(Even if he does bear a
striking resemblance to
Edward VIII aka the
Duke of Windsor.)


And I love David Bowie and Iman as a couple even more. Why? Beats me. They just strike me as a perfect match.

How about this: I won't talk about the red spiral socks and you won't ask me why. I think that sounds like a good idea, don't you? Red Spiral #2 is snakebit. That's the only explanation I can come up with to explain the sheer number of dumbass mistakes I've made on a simple, basic entry level sock. I had to rip back a total of at least 30 rows today -- two and three rows at a time which means a whole lot of mistakes. I found dropped stitches. Extra stitches. Twisted stitches. I'd blame it on Mercury going retrograde but I don't think Mercury holds any power over my knitting. What a total disaster of a knitting day it's been.

So instead of whining about my total lack of skill for a few more paragraphs, let me take a second to urge you to check out the links over there on the right. There are a lot of them so you might need to do some scrolling, but I promise you it's worth your time. Not only will you find links to our individual websites (where most of us hold monthly contests) but you'll find links to our Sockhoppers and I am here to tell you that these ladies are not only terrific knitters but talented, fascinating individuals in other ways as well. I just spent some time on Sharon's website and -- well, what can I say to you but "Go visit Sharon! Right now!" And congratulations, Sharon, on Taphonomy, your prize-winning poem.

And she can knit too.

4 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

I agree about David Bowie.....he's got that certain "something" doesn't he?? (Great photo by the way!)

Sorry about the spiral sock! I've been intrigued watching you knit them.

Kim

11:24 PM  
Blogger Sharon Hurlbut said...

David Bowie seems to always be true to himself, and I think that's extremely attractive.

Sorry to hear about the spiral sock. Some days just go like that. Tomorrow will be better.

Thanks for the congrats and the link! Poetry is so low-profile, sometimes I wonder if anyone besides myself and a handful of other poets ever reads my work.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I like to cast imaginary movies and in my imaginary movie about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor David Bowie and Cate Blanchett play the title roles. Bowie has that kind of louche elegance that's very intriguing.

Isn't it funny the way you can suddenly find yourself invested in the happiness of people you don't know and will never meet? That's the way I am about Iman and Bowie. I want them to stay together. I was thrilled when their daughter was born. I'll be devastated if they ever split.

Why do I care? Am I nuts? I mean, I actually felt sad when Hillary Swank and Chad Lowe split. I'm 56 years old! I shouldn't even =know= they split up. I should be thinking lofty thoughts about important subjects.

Any other odd ducks out there or am I swimming in this pond alone?

11:33 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I'm with you, Barbara. I get caught up in certain people's very public lives and actually care what happens to them. I think it's an occupational hazard for writers; we are always putting ourselves in other people's heads and sometimes we get more interested in their thoughts than is strictly normal.

Sharon, I love poetry and am so delighted by your award. I wrote a volume of poetry for my senior thesis in college. So you're not alone!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home