Saturday, October 28, 2006

SOCK HOP - Day 28




This is Johnny Depp. He's probably barefoot inside his pirate boots.

I stayed away from the red spirals yesterday. The number of mistakes was escalating into the realm of the truly absurd and I decided no good could come of it.

As horribly as the red spirals are progressing, that's how well the Sirdar Highlander #2 is going. I'm zooming down the leg right now without a care in the world. There's something very satisfying about big fat thick-wooled socks. Goldisox is gonna love 'em.

Dallas's beautiful sweater inspired me to dig out the fistful of sweater patterns that have been calling to me. The Celtic Cardigan is right at the top of the list. Mountain Colors has one whose name escapes me that I'm thinking about. Any number of goodies from Oat Couture. One from the old Family Circle Easy Knitting. Salt Peanuts from a back issue of Interweave Knits.

Speaking of Interweave Knits I ordered their holiday issue from Elann and it came today. There are a few interesting wristwarmer patterns in there but I'm a little disappointed in the other, more familiar, patterns. Can you spell retreads? I know some of those patterns. I'm reasonably sure one of them was in Scarf Style. And those crocheted slippers look like something I've seen before too. Okay, maybe it's just a granny square-based design that can't help looking something like every other granny square-based design but I'm not exactly convinced I got my money's worth from the magazine. Now I'm a huge IK fan. I think it's the best knitting magazine out there--at least to me it is. I had high expectations for this issue and instead I'm feeling vaguely ripped off.

And don't get me started on Vogue Knitting. The current issue arrived last week and it took me all of two minutes to see there wasn't one single thing in there I would even daydream about knitting, much less actually cast on for. Meg Swansen is the only reason I still subscribe.

Maybe the Internet and sites like Knitty have spoiled me. There's such high quality design work (not to mention the great photography) coming out of independent sources that knitting magazines just might be going the way of the dinosaur.

What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I had the same reactions to both magazines. I've subscribed to VK since it was resurrected in 1981/82 (or thereabouts) and I'll probably keep renewing, but not for the projects. I looked at the IK Holiday Knits issue at Wal-Mart (believe it or not) & decided I didn't need it.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I feel almost guilty for criticizing two wonderful magazines but in the case of IK, especially, my disappointment was intense. Like you I'll keep my subscriptions most likely but the odds of actually knitting something from any issue of VK are down to almost zero. Love the designer details, the dressmaker touches that pop up, but what does that have to do with zipping out to Shoprite for a gallon of milk? I guess I want something interesting to knit, good to look at, but WEARABLE in my real world.

9:04 AM  
Blogger kshotz said...

Anyone know af any good patterns for a cardigan type sweater or vest that is LONG (I'm 5'6" and want the bottom to fall around my knees or just below)

Also, since I'm an X(tra)L(ovely) size, I don't want it to be bulky yarn/pattern but something a bit smaller gauge.

I haven't knit a garment other than socks yet (unless you count scarves or fingerless gloves) but all the beautiful knitting on this blog has inspired me to give it a go.

I've looked at a couple knitting mags (esp. VK) and not really seen anything useable. *sigh*

Kim

11:28 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I don't have a lot of the books/magazines that people have cited as original sources for the holiday IK, so that one's okay with me. I have to agree on the Vogue, though. Vogue sometimes seems to be a bit more of the "high fashion" style of knitting and therefore not really practical for my lifestyle. Also, considering I'm a big girl, I'd have to make quite a lot of modifications to the patterns to wear anything in the issues--other than scarves, etc. that is.

I don't know if all print knitting magazines will go the way of the dodo thanks to online publications (I mean there are some that have far worse patterns and really bad photography that are still publishing), but I think when the inevitable slow-down of the knitting market happens, and as more and more knitters turn to the web, they're definitely going to have to be more competetive.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

It's funny but one of the reasons I fell away from knitting when I was in my late teens was because of the truly hideous, matronly patterns that were available. (This was the late 1960s.) I still have someof those magazines and I can attest to the fact that NOBODY dressed in knit suits. At least nobody in NYC. Not even in Queens, where I lived. Of course that's always the case with high fashion: it's more art than clothing. But unless you're making fiber sculptures, you expect to be able to wear or use the items you knit. At least I do. And the general drab, old styles drove me away.

I love that Stitch'n'Bitch happened. I love the edgier stuff that's available out there for young knitters. The only way the craft will thrive is if you make it relevant for real people. There's always room for classic designs (think Chanel, right?) but the hipper stuff is necessary.

But Vogue Knitting, at least in my unhumble opinion, just hasn't been delivering with any consistency this year.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Kim --

Try KnittingPatternCentral.com. It's an index of about 75% of the free patterns on the internet. I haven't looked at the sweater selection, but the hats, scarves, gloves-wristies and baby-stuff sections are delightful. Also, Dances With Wool is making a long sweater named Katriina. Don't know where she got the pattern, but it's lovely.

Good luck!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home