Thursday, July 01, 2010

Elephant Bib

Here's an adorable elephant bib I crocheted for an Indian friend's baby shower. The end of the trunk hangs freely, and in the pattern, you're supposed to attach a piece of Velcro to make it a pacifier holder. Which is a cute concept, but kind of impractical, since I only put bibs on babies when I'm feeding them, and they don't have their pacifiers then. Maybe they think you're going to pop the pacifier back in as soon as the feeding is done? Anyway, I skipped that part.



This went over pretty well at the baby shower. Handmade + elephant is hard to beat.

The yarn is Berocco Vintage, a machine-washable wool-acrylic blend in Cracked Pepper and Wasabi. Love all the non-pastel colors in that line, and the softness of the yarn; I think it's going to be my new default for baby yarn gifts. I'm using the leftover yarn, plus I think their Crimson, to make the elephant stranded hat for Kavi / Anand. Cracked Pepper is a perfect elephant color.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the most adorable bib I've ever seen!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Very cute! Nice job, I'm sure it will be much loved.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a labour of love! If I was given that I would want to rather frame it and hang it than use it, out of feat it would get ruined instantly! Besides I would use something like Bibetta Bibs and then definitely want to save this like a keepsake!

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

I'm glad y'all like it! :-)

Helen, I know a lot of people like the plastic bibs, but I prefer cloth, because I often end up mopping their faces with the bib. :-) Just to get the strained peas out of their eyelashes, y'know...

And I find that I kind of love it when my hand-knits get battered. It shows they're used and loved. Especially as I get more skilled (and faster), so that a bib like this is now at most two hours of work instead of ten. :-)

2:05 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Bibs make great baby gifts, don't they? Fast, fun, and much appreciated. Although I found out that my niece put the one I knitted for her firstborn away as a treasure. I told her to take it out and use it.

Love the elephant!

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home