Monday, June 07, 2010

Help! Translation needed!

This sweater, the Sunshine Wrap from August's Knit 'N Style Magazine, is my first project for myself in a long time. I am a little nervous because it needs to fit and I don't know anything about fitting patterns. But I loved the crossover tie and decided it might provide enough adjustment to counteract my shortcomings on that front.




I'm not making it in yellow, but in a lovely russet yarn our buddy Barbara Bretton gave me. I cast on and have navigated the first set of instructions without too much angst. However, I was reading ahead (as my teachers trained me to do in school) and came across this sentence and I am confused.

"Cont in St st, inc 1 st at each end of next and every foll 4th row twice, every RSR 4 times."

Could someone please tell me how many rows I'm supposed to increase on? I keep rereading this and I can't figure it out.

(Also any advice on the best increase method would be much appreciated. I feel like I read somewhere that it's better to increase on the second stitch of a row--but maybe that was in reference to decreasing instead.)

I'm depending on the experts here to unbefuddle me.


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Let's see if we can't figure this out:

"Continue in stockinette stitch, increasing one stitch at each end of next and every following 4th row twice, every RIGHT SIDE ROW 4 times"

The way I'm reading it you will increase 3 times and then 4 times on on the right side rows.

A total of 7 increase rows

5:58 PM  
Blogger Beadknitter said...

How Sara wrote it. That's what it means to me too. The punctuation is really important.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That was one of my many confused interpretations but I wasn't at all sure I was right. Why couldn't they say "a total of 7 increase rows"? That would have made it perfectly clear!!!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Re: Increases, often people suggest increasing into or before the second stitch because it can make it easier during the sewing up process.

Between would be this increase: http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2007/03/two-handy-knitted-increases-one.html
into would be this increase
http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2008/12/useful-increase-knit-into-front-knit.html

8:06 PM  
Anonymous lynn said...

I always increase or decrease in the 2nd stitch from the edge. My take is: work increase row, *work 3 rows even, work increase row; rep. from * 1 time; then every right side row 4 times working the wrong side row even. Adding a total of 14 stitches over 7 increase rows.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I knew I could count on my fellow Yarnies for good advice. You guys are the best! Thanks so much for all the great explanations and info.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home