Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I missed it by thi-i-i-s much!

I finished Darling Daughter's scarf only a week after her birthday which isn't bad considering I had to order another ball of yarn to complete it. I adore this yarn. Look at the texture and colors below. It's Dune by Trendsetter Yarns and is made in Italy (which explains a lot since I adore all things Italian) in Color 111. Her college color is purple but I wanted a subtle purple and this fit the bill. Can you see the hint of sparkle in it too?

Barbara, now I understand why you consider seed stitch your "comfort stitch". This scarf is straight seed stitch and I just loved knitting it. The only tricky part is that the Dune yarn is really two strands loosely twisted together, a mohair strand and an acrylic/viscose/nylon/polyester strand, and the two don't always stay connected. You have to pay a little attention to keeping the tension on both the same so you don't end up with extra mohair (which I occasionally did) or split stitches. You can see the makeup of the yarn a bit better below in the fringe.
Here's the full FO:
I started this project on a whim when I walked into my LYS to get something else (I can't remember what) and saw a scarf they'd knitted out of the Dune in another color. As you know, I have felt color deprived with the endless white lace scarf so this yarn sang a siren song to me. I'm psyched to make another scarf in another fabulous color--it's so quick and easy and satisfying (great for watching hockey games).
The pattern is very simple:
4 skeins of Dune Color 111
Cast on 23 stitches on Size 9 needles (an odd number of stitches means you don't have to remember which way you're going with the seed stitch)
Knit in seed stitch (k1,p1) until the scarf is as long as you want it to be. (Mine was six feet.)
Fringe (I barely had enough yarn to do a semi-decent fringe so you might want to make your scarf a little under six feet to make the fringe more luxurious.).
Has anyone else discovered a great new yarn or pattern recently?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Flo Moyer said...

Your scarf turned out really nice.

I found what I think is going to be a wonderful pattern for slipper socks. It does involve the single rib stitch, so it's taking me a while, but I think they're going to be really warm. I'm going to add fun fur around the top. Here's the link:
http://knitswithdogs.blogspot.com/2007/10/warm-paws.html

1:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Flo, I checked out the pattern and I love the fact that you don't have to use DPNs! I also love the name of the blog: "Knits with Dogs, It's like dancing with wolves, only safer". That made me chuckle.

I'd love to see a picture of your finished socks, esp. with the fun fur at the top. I hope you'll share!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

Very pretty and elegant!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Thanks, Mary Anne!

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home