Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Get Paid for This?

Okay, so it finally feels real. I got the contract in the mail, and the check payable to me upon signing with Avon for the three book deal.

I had NO idea how gratifying it would be to get real money for writing, not just the two-copy payment we all cut our teeth on. Paid? Really? Where's the hidden camera? Come on.

I've been calling myself a writer for so long, even though the first question I always seem to get is, "Really? You get paid to do that?" Then I have to shake my head and say firmly, "Not really, but it's what I do."

Now? Getting a payment in the mail is a validation I never knew I craved. Sure, most of it is going to taxes and bills and fixing the water heater. But I did something really smart. I was talking to Lala in the kitchen, right after I opened the FedEx envelope. I said, "Maybe now, just maybe, I'll get those shoes I've been wanting for so long. But maybe not...."

Then I decided, hey. I'm GETTING the shoes. I stood up, went in my office, opened Zappos.com and ordered my Dansko Sally 39s.



I first saw those shoes on Too Much Wool Cassie, when I met her for the first time in New York five years ago. I remember we were standing in front of Purl Soho, and I said, "THOSE ARE THE BEST SHOES I'VE EVER SEEN." I've wanted them since then. Cassie, we are twinners now.

And it is possible that later today I will go buy a celebratory skein or two of yarn. In the past I've celebrated things (like the completion of the Nanowrimo that led to this book) with really nice yarn made into socks -- memory socks. I think I might do that again.

Hooray! (AND OMG I have an ISBN! Actually, I have three of them reserved! Hoo boy.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished 'Casting Spells' - wow that was so much fun. Best knitting/yarn book I've read and I've read almost all of them. Fun characters, great yarn references, love the cats... I'm on board - WRITE WRITE SOME MORE AND KNIT KNIT KNIT SOME MORE... AND YOUR REWARD SHOES ROCK!

1:18 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

This is very cool. Good for you! Danskos are worth every cent. Here's hoping you can buy many more pairs in the future.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Katminder said...

It's always a wonderful feeling to be validated! Congratulations, you deserve all that you receive. Can't wait to read more

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

I bought myself several presents with my first big advance -- it's a great way to celebrate. My favorite is my leather-covered library chair -- I write in it all the time. Plus, tax-deductible, since it's for my home office. :-)

Congratulations!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I think new shoes are the BEST way to celebrate anything. Love yours!

My big splurge with my first advance check was a laser printer. That sucker is still spewing forth paper at a high speed nine years later. My daughter calls it The Printer of Doom but she doesn't hesitate to borrow it when she needs to do volume printing.

Many congratulations on your advance check!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

That is beyond cool, Rachael! There's nothing like all those fabulous firsts. Harlequin paid extremely well for categories back in 1982: $6000! (Which was more than I made in a year at goofy dead-end jobs.) We ended up taking half of it and going to Hawaii. To hell with the mortgage: there's only one first advance check, right?

A three-book contract right off the bat. I'd say you're going to have a fab-u-lous career!

3:47 PM  
Blogger LisaB said...

I know this may seem kind of dumb but I don't know any of your titles and as a reader, of course I am curious. Could you post a link or talk about your titles here and when they will be available? Thanks.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

I ♥ the shoes! Congrats on the book deal.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Flo Moyer said...

That is wonderful! Congratulations! May you have many more sales and lots more shoes and yarn, too. :-)
Flo

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home