Sunday, November 16, 2008

You Want Magic? I'll Give You Magic!

This is Vintage Velvet #2 (5 skeins Muench Touch Me in Cream) post-knitting, pre-felting. I love it more than creme brulee and that's saying something.


This is a close-up of the VV2, pre-felting, so you can see how loose and floppy the stitches are. Observe the infamous chenille worming phenomenon up close.


Now here is the finished, post-knitting post-felting product (and trust me when I say no photo taken by yours truly could possibly do justice to the wonder of a Vintage Velvet):

The pictures are so lifeless. This is a sensual scarf. You want to roll around on it. You can't stop touching it. You don't care who sees you gazing lovingly in its velvety eyes. It's a 3-D wonder that my photography can't capture.

I gave it two shots through the washer and dryer and am contemplating a third just to tighten it up and enhance the vintage velvet attributes. But I'm going to wait a week or two before I decide.

You need to make this scarf. You need to experience felted Touch Me. The first time I decided to make this scarf was 2003. I made it halfway through the first ball of TM and bailed. Way too expensive for a project I wasn't sure would live up to expectations. Oh, who am I kidding? I wasn't convinced it would be anything but total disaster. I sold off the extras on eBay and forgot about it for a couple years.

Maybe you feel the same way. You're not willing to make a big financial commitment to anything but a sure thing. Well, I have about 2/3 of a ball of hunter green Touch Me (from last year's project) waiting to be claimed. Why not knit it up in pattern, run it through the washer and dryer, and see what you think.

Leave a note in comments if you're interested and I'll pick somebody at random tomorrow and ship it out.

Yes, I'm a Touch Me enabler. I can't help myself. It's that wonderful.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

That's definitely my next project, especially since I'm an inveterate Yarn Squeezer. Anything soft is right up my alley. While I know you don't believe it, your photos convey the shimmery, silken texture post-felting quite nicely.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf is beautiful, wish we could all touch.
Count me in for a trial run on your Hunter Green.

Camry60
Ellen

10:24 AM  
Blogger jtodvm said...

Oh. My. God. The scarf is beautiful, amazing, I want one! I have been scouting for Touch Me on sale for ages, please enter me for a Hunter Green trial run.

10:52 AM  
Blogger georg said...

Who could resist? I'd love to Touch. :)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Cheryl S. said...

Oh, I've been torturing myself with thoughts of that scarf. I'd love to try it.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh is that gorgeous! This is a must knit for me. I'd also like to compete for the trial.

12:14 PM  
Blogger adrienne said...

have never tried this before. would love the chance.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Oh I would love to try it. That scarf is AmAZING. I bought some green chenille and the worming made me crazy, but I heard this stuff is gorgeous! Pick me! Pick me!

2:09 PM  
Blogger cksknitter said...

I agree that the scarf is beautifully touchable. Unfortunately, Muench Touch Me is out of my budget, although if I won a partial skein I would immediately knit it into a cowl for myself and I wouldn't be afraid to put it through the washer. Fingers crossed!
Chrissy

2:27 PM  
Blogger Minna said...

I'd love to try this!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's out of my budget so I'd love to win! Debbie

10:14 AM  
Blogger LisaB said...

I know I am too late for the drawing, but that scarf was so beautiful and a perfect example of why after knitting treatments, like felting and/or blocking make a huge difference. Of course if the drawing is still on, count me in!
Question: Have any of the posters ever frogged a sweater? I just started this and really enjoy it.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home