Saturday, November 15, 2008

Welcome, Rachael Herron!

Did you notice there's a new name on our roster? Rachael Herron (many of you probably know Rachael from her fabulous blog Yarn-A-Go-Go) has joined our merry band of knitting writers and I'm delighted. I've been reading Rachael for awhile now and have celebrated her happy times in lurkdom but when I read that she received The Call--well, I couldn't lurk any longer.

The Call is what a writer waits for. The Call doesn't just rock your world; it changes it forever. The Call means somebody you're not related to read your work and liked it enough to pay you! To a writer, The Call means everything.

Here are the details from Publishers Marketplace:

Fiction: Women's/Romance Rachael Herron's debut ELIZA'S COTTAGE, in which a rancher's way of life is threatened by a woman trying to escape her past; the first book in the KNIT TWO TOGETHER series, to May Chen at Avon, in a good deal, at auction, in a three-book deal, for publication in Spring 2010, by Susanna Einstein at LJK Literary Management (NA).

You know how sometimes you find what you need when you need it most? After twenty-five years you can get a little cynical about the business of publishing. Sometimes it's hard to remember that pure, wonderful time when it was all shiny and bright and a reviewer had yet to say "I hope Ms. Bretton keeps her day job."

(Oops. Sorry. I don't know where that came from. And no, I'm not kidding. Flip through my Amazon reviews of ONCE AROUND and you'll find it. It's ten years old and I swear I have it memorized.) (Published Author Rule #1: You only remember the bad reviews. They might be outnumbered 100 to 1 by the good reviews but those stinkers will burn themselves into your brain permanently.)

Reading Rachael's reaction to The Call I remembered how excited I was when Vivian Stephens called me and said, "I want to buy your book." The fun of telling my husband and my parents and my friends. (We won't discuss the friend whose first words were, "Wow! If you can do it, anyone can.") I was two years past my bout with cancer and I was on top of the world! Why do we lose that feeling? I want to get it back.

Rachael will be here to introduce herself in the next few days (she can do a far better job of it than I can) and I know you're going to love her. (Yarn-A-Go-Go readers already do.)

RTYers, any other The Call stories to share?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home